Author Topic: Bed covers  (Read 2930 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Bed covers
« on: April 06, 2015, 11:49:18 »
I've decided to cut back a bit this year on planting so will end up with a couple of large areas not being cultivated on the allotment. We suffer quite badly from bindweed so if I just left them they'd turn into a real weedy mess in no time. I thought it might be an idea to cover them up for a year so can anyone see a problem with covering the areas in black plastic or weed suppressant fabric - maybe there's a better way?

Cheers!
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
Re: Bed covers
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 14:10:38 »
ive used black plastic to cover my whole plot while im digging it if you have some areas not going to be used its a good idea to cover them black plastic will be fine so would weed matting just make sure your allotment association are ok with you doing that

they should be as it stops weeds growing and spreading seeds

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 07:38:53 »
I've used Mypex type cover and it works well, as its woven it allows for air and moisture to get through to the soil, black plastic sheet doesn't. I also mulched the soil before covering (I used cardboard and grass cuttings) which worked to feed the worms and they obliged by helping turn the soil. I think Bindweed would survive being covered for quite some time but would be easier to deal with after being covered?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:41:40 by Jayb »
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 08:59:01 »
Thanks - bindweed seems to survive anything, was just hoping that covering it up for a while will make it easier to pull up and means I can pretend it's not there.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 11:06:55 »
Bindweed seems to be able to go underground for quite a distance and be quite happy. The damp under the plastic will keep it happy.  I suggest squashes or pumpkins instead to shift it. 

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 15:20:21 »
Weed fabric works - but doesn't look great.  If you have access - try lots and lots of carboard and paper covered up with compost/manure/straw/stable waste or whatever you can get.  When you come to use it will all be rotted down and if people moan - just say that is your "rotation" bed and is being "rested".
Grow yer bugger grow!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal