Author Topic: A slow cold start to spring  (Read 9036 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: A slow cold start to spring
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 18:41:55 »
Nice warm afternoon on the plot today, with butterflies and bumblebees out. The election is really taking it out of me, but I got something done anyway.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 19:48:06 »
got to the plot this morning at 7:30  9 degrees sunny by midday it was 6 degrees and a cold wind not an insect in sight :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 21:26:46 »
Well what a difference a few days make. Was at the lotty today with the sun beating down doing my last bit of digging before rotavation. Still very wet though. Soil was wet and muddy only an inch below he ground. Not sure whether it will dry out enough to rotavate this week despite the dry weather forecast.

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 22:23:26 »
maybe in the past they have had a bonfire on that part of the plot and burnt plastic and such like may have tainted the soil :BangHead:

No.  It was the whole plot.  It was seriously weed infested, particularly bindweed, docks and others.  I tried growing plants further down the plot, put in new rhubarb crowns - they died.  Neighbour gave me some of his rhubarb crowns, planted them at the opposite end, they died.  Dug them up and they were rotten.  Even my runner beans (Scarlett Emperor), the only thing that did produce something, weren't that good a crop, the plants sparse, not many leaves on them. 

One of my neighbours at the new plot said that I was wasting my time, effort and money as many of the plots at that end (opposite to where I am now) have very poor soil and little if anything grows, hence even people have had tried for several seasons give up in the end.

New plot I'm on seems to be a lot better.  My Rosemary is flourishing, so is the rose I rescued from the vacant, overgrown plot next door (just as well I did as the council came in with their tractor to cut the grass and they would have run the poor thing over and killed it) and couple of lavendar plants I put in are growing.  Soil is still clay but seems a lot more friable than the old plot.  Apparently the plot I'm on was well looked after until 2-3 years ago when the tenant passed away.  I would say that's probably the case as weeds, apart from a patch by the shed which has a fair bit of couch grass on it - which I'm digging up, is relatively weed free.  It's grassed over but the roots aren't that deep and just turning it over and letting the sun do the rest seems to be working quite well.

Would have liked to have turned it over before winter set in but son's kidney transplant failed after 6 years, he wasn't feeling very well so the plot had to take a back seat.  He's on renal dialysis now and has got a lot of his energy back so is helping out as and when he can.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 18:05:35 »
i had a clay soil plot in chingford many years back it took 3 ton of well rotted horse manure to get it around it was on a slope i tiered it all installed a watering system  slabbed pathways between the tiers brick built the tiers first year a bumper crop then the wife told me we were moving it took me 2 years  but to the point it was the manure that done the trick on clay you really cant have enough hope this helps :blob7: :blob7:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal