Author Topic: Growing celery from offsets  (Read 3850 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Growing celery from offsets
« on: March 14, 2014, 13:19:00 »

I noticed that celery which is preparing to flower also produces little side shoots or offsets from the base.  Last autumn I detached these and just stuck them into a bit of spare ground.  They rooted well and have produced good plants which we are harvesting now.

Anybody else done this?  Seems easier than growing from seed.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
Re: Growing celery from offsets
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 13:22:20 »
I'm off to check mine!

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 18:10:31 »
Interesting, I noticed what look like offsets on my plants.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 19:48:02 »
No obvious offsets on my plants, but I'll delay clearing them to see if they appear. I wonder if this would work with the little knobbly side growths that form on celeriac roots.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 22:22:01 »
No obvious offsets on my plants, but I'll delay clearing them to see if they appear. I wonder if this would work with the little knobbly side growths that form on celeriac roots.

Definitely worth trying.  Unfortunately no celeriacs here this year.  But I remember seeing them when I grew them last. 

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 09:15:10 »
So why isnt this an accepted tecnique ?There exists lots of internet references of growing on from the root end from bought celery, but with little mention of satisfactory outcome. Do you expect to get new bunches or just single leafy stems.Might be good as cut and come again.Reports of good outcomes appreciated
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 09:46:22 »
.Reports of good outcomes appreciated

The celeries I grew from offsets are identical to seed sown ones- celeriac no experience (yet).

I do harvest by the individual stalk rather than by the whole plant, but the plants themselves are just ordinary celery.

Regrowing a celery from its own root is different to growing from offsets.  Grown from its own root it is still a second year plant which will flower (but perhaps produce a useful flush of green before flowering), whereas these offsets behave like first year plants.   

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 09:49:59 »
So why isnt this an accepted tecnique ?

One of the reasons for asking on the forum was whether producing offsets is what celery generally 'does' - or whether it is only a feature of some varieties, mine included. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:53:09 by galina »

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 14:14:50 »
It's not something I've noticed before, although I have seen small stalk and leaf growing inside a full size one. I wasn't planning on growing celery this year but might be tempted now  :happy7:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 09:54:52 »
Okay. In the intervening period, my celery have produced offsets. I've planted some up to try them. I've also done the same with a couple of celeriac offsets. Since they are basically the same species, it seems reasonable to assume they may also work. This is certainly a much easier way of propagating these crops; they are both quite delicate as seedlings.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 13:33:33 »
Okay. In the intervening period, my celery have produced offsets. I've planted some up to try them. I've also done the same with a couple of celeriac offsets. Since they are basically the same species, it seems reasonable to assume they may also work. This is certainly a much easier way of propagating these crops; they are both quite delicate as seedlings.

I would expect your celery will do the same as mine (well I hope so anyway, because this means more evidence that this mode of propagation is viable generally).  Very much looking forward to the celeriac report, Ian.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 21:14:00 »
Interesting.   I also will have a look for them.

I was going to allow my two remaining plants to go to seed.  I like celery seeds for cooking.

I doubt there will be celeriac offset the vole had completely eaten away the remaining one.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 18:46:47 »
When I was talking about celery offsets, I had no picture to hand.  At the moment I am removing the dried up stems that had flowered last year and here they are at the base of the stem.  Chosen the largest ones and transplanted.

Btw the celery has come through winter again fine, although I had planted some in the greenhouse for insurance, the outside one actually looks better. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal