Author Topic: Scoville scale - how hot is my pepper going to be?  (Read 3815 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Scoville scale - how hot is my pepper going to be?
« on: March 30, 2015, 09:07:04 »
I feel sure that there must have been a link to a Scoville heat unit scale posted before.  Apologies if I repeat, but I could not find one with a search just now.

Here is a list of common peppers and pepper products showing how hot they are:
http://www.chilliworld.com/factfile/scoville_scale.asp
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:09:00 by galina »

gazza1960

• Hectare
Re: Scoville scale - how hot is my pepper going to be?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 09:23:05 »
Oh thank you for reminding us what wimps we are Galina,5000 and were reaching for the cold milk.... :tongue3:

GazNWimpJudy

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 10:24:49 »
Whenever I see the word "Scoville" I think of this board game that came out recently.

I'd love a copy!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 11:49:02 »
Oh thank you for reminding us what wimps we are Galina,5000 and were reaching for the cold milk.... :tongue3:

GazNWimpJudy

Our tolerance isn't much greater either, half a rocoto per meal is the maximum I am allowed by OH, my limit is  a whole one.  Strangely, the last harvested ones were much milder than the ones harvested during September/October.  Last year they resprouted after winter, but it doesn't look like they will spring into action a second time.  Never mind, there are 'plenty of Scovilles' in the freezer.

Galina (whimpish)   :wave:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 13:26:02 »
That is good list and here is another... http://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-types.html#.VRk-AFV0zDc

I have liking for more 'warmer' types...say from 100.000 upwards but when it gets to varieties that are nearer 1 million mark..well, it is pure silliness. Those varieties usually have really nice flavour but you don't have much time to actually taste them when you get hit by the pain.
I was only this winter when I finally 'saw the light' and I found way of using them....SO YUMMY!...BUT with the effect that I'm now on medication for acid reflux, really bad one....I though I was having heart attack symptoms! I might have over done it with really hot ones...'upps'.. :glasses9:

One can train one's mouth to able to appreciate more heat. It just take little bit time and regular practice. Sadly many of the milder ones are lacking the stronger flavours one can get from hotter varieties.

For some reason, I've always been able to eat hotter chillies/food...OH can't take much at all, so if I'm cooking something and I fancy bit of 'kick'...I have to cook separate portion for my liking :BangHead:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal