Author Topic: exotic manure  (Read 1982 times)

ACE

• Hectare
exotic manure
« on: March 25, 2015, 17:27:46 »
Not really exotic but different. I might be getting a regular supply of alpaca manure. They seem to use the same small area to do their toilet so it should be easy to get the 'raw' stuff. I can also have the stuff mucked out of the pens. The 'raw' stuff can be dug straight in as it is short on organic material and does not need to rot down. The mixture that comes out of the pens will have to be composted a bit before use, trouble is, I don't really have the room for that. Has anybody ever used it and is it stinky or not? It is supposed to be a very good fertiliser and the person telling me about it says the grass really grows well in the toilet spot.

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
Re: exotic manure
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 02:47:46 »
I haven't used it but expect it to be high in N from the urine there too. When I get something like that and can't compost it I dig a trench up the middle of the rows (or leave it on top if not too much to walk on at a time) and let the plants use it as they see fit. Earth worms will quickly move it for you and it breaks down well in the surface area too.
That is how I use fairly fresh chook manure and never had a burning problem.
Do you have dung beetles which also move fresh dung quickly under the soil?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:27:01 »
I put manure in a dalek compost bin it takes up much less space while it rots down.  Keeps it warmer so it is quicker.   We can get them at a reduced price from county council.  Though iow does not give such a good subsidy.

http://www.iwight.com/council/OtherServices/Get-Composting/Get-Composting

We get a mixture of horse, sheep and pig.   All seem to disappear quite quickly I am sure alpaca will be just a good.   

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 07:05:00 »
Titchy little bins like that are no good to me. They make the place tidy but I would fill it in an hour. I'll just dig it in trenches and put it straight to use, I have heard from my friend it is only like goat dung so it is not the slimey messy stuff I was expecting. You could say it is already pelleted . I already have plans for my compost heaps made for nothing out of pallets.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal