Author Topic: Free timber  (Read 2841 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Free timber
« on: March 24, 2015, 18:52:15 »
 I went to buy some battens from our local timber merchant who have been taken over by Jewsons. As I drove in I noticed they were just about to put a load of packing battens in the skip. 1 inch square and  4 foot long. So I asked if I could have some and was told to help myself. Filled my trailer and the truck and there was still more to be had, so going back again tomorrow. I only needed batten to make a frame to hold some netting which will protect the greens from pidgeons, so now I have overstocked slightly by a couple of thousand.

My next project is to make a 'model' shed out of giant matchsticks  :sunny:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Free timber
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 17:46:41 »
It's amazing what gets chucked. A builder down the road from me had loads of really chunky bits of wood which he was going to ship and they are now forming part of my raised bed empire.

I'd love to see a shed built of "giant matchsticks" but you may need a giant pot of glue as well!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 17:58:48 »

I'd love to see a shed built of "giant matchsticks" but you may need a giant pot of glue as well!

I have a nail gun that came with my air compressor, I knew I would find a use for it one day. £15 worth of nails should do the trick.

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 02:40:51 »
We have Bunnings here in Oz which is a hardware chain. They now put all their timber and sometimes the odd metal pallets in the car park for people to take. Maybe they had too many people asking for them who had to climb over piles of supplies to get to them or the local tip charged too much.... don't really know.
Last week I went to get a couple of 2.4m long ones and got a 3.6m one too. Plus a pile of about 20 3X3's (75mm X 75mm) one metre long. Same as you Ace, got to find a project for them now.
Then I went around to the fencing shop to pick up some star pickets. They come in packs of about 500 then they sell them in lots of 10 or even individually. The packs are made out of 2 pieces of 2 inch angle iron with little chocks welded on them to make them stand squarely, placed at either end of the posts. Then there are four 500mm 7/8 inch bolts welded as uprights on all four corners which are threaded. An extra piece of angle iron is then bolted down on top at either end to hold every secure during transport. All this structure just goes to the tip when they are finished so I ended up with 6 of these structures. I am always looking for scrap steel.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 10:46:28 »
Back to the drawing board on the netting frame. I made them 3 foot high, (don't ask why).Proud as punch set them out on the plot, netting was only 2m wide. Now Im lokking a bit silly so out they came and out came the saw. 18 inches high now. But even sillier when they get pushed in the ground they are too low.

Now with the netting to hand another set will be made and tested at home away from knowing eyes.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 21:08:48 »
wow ace thats brilliant, nothing like that happens to me ! would be happy to come take a few off your hands :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal