Author Topic: mass slug invasion  (Read 2732 times)

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
mass slug invasion
« on: June 12, 2014, 22:07:27 »
after all the rain we have had and the warm days and nights the slugs have gone on the rampage on my allotment :BangHead:, i have lost all my runner beans a whole 12ft raised bed of carrots and a few potato plants. I dont normally use slug pellets but i have had no choice and have had to resort to them, i have planted some more beans and carrots and will see how i go with the later plantings.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Re: mass slug invasion
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 23:51:35 »
Now that you have used the pellets the slugs will come back with a vengeance. Keep pelleting or remain extra vigilant. Once mummy slug fails to return to the nest a hatch will trigger as far as I know.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:21:50 »
Now that you have used the pellets the slugs will come back with a vengeance. Keep pelleting or remain extra vigilant. Once mummy slug fails to return to the nest a hatch will trigger as far as I know.
Please put up the science or your personal observations to support this highly contentious assertion.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 08:45:33 »
So sorry, hippydave, it's been a shocking year for slugs (or great if you're a slug, I suppose). I too have resorted to pellets, I just couldn't keep up with my usual regime of hunting and squishing. I feel bad about it, but it's the only chemical I use and on balance I want to keep my veg. I'm sure your second sowings aren't too late, good luck.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 10:01:58 »
Once mummy slug fails to return to the nest a hatch will trigger as far as I know.

???

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 10:13:38 »
Slugs don't have "nests" - they just lay a bunch of eggs in a damp place and then go off on their slug business. The eggs don't require any maternal attention at all and will hatch and produce fully functional tiny baby slugs given the correct conditions, whether the "mother" is around or not.

I used to keep African land snails, and in terms of reproduction slugs are no different.

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 21:02:53 »
Sorry for the late reply. 10:30 on this vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNMvyPHJZ-k The guy's a professional gardener and all his advice I've used has been sound. I've had a wee scan around the net but can't see anything else. TBH I get so many slugs about here that it's hard to test.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal