Author Topic: More vine weevil  (Read 2132 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
More vine weevil
« on: April 06, 2015, 17:07:33 »
I usually have strawbs in containers but this year we decided to plant them into the garden. In virtually every pot there are vine weevil grubs. We are about halfway through planting out. What's folks advice here. Should we burn the rest of our plants and buy new stock, remove the ones we've planted out and/or hope that our acidic clay soil makes life too uncomfortable for the little b*****s?

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: More vine weevil
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 17:19:48 »
No, bare root the plants and discard the compost. Plant out as normal. The grubs do not make such a mess out in the garden where they have a bigger choice of root to go at.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Gordonmull

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 19:46:59 »
Whew! Thanks. I must admit I've never seen one in the soil. Another good reason for the strawb patch to be in the garden rather than in pots.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 20:18:34 »
The less the root on the plants when you pant them out, the more looking after they will need. May be worth removing some of the top growth  to balance it out. That way the plant does not lose too much water through the leaves before the roots can re-grow.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Gordonmull

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 22:14:32 »
Should be ok on that front, I think (hope). There's very little foliage, maybe 3 small leaves, the clay is seriously clay and pretty sodden.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal