Author Topic: What are you planting or sowing now?  (Read 18607 times)

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
Re: What are you planting or sowing now?
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2015, 17:26:42 »
Wikipedia says that ordinary onions, shallots, and potato onions are all the same species, Allium cepa.

I think you're right and it's just that they've been selected for different things, kind of like how beet has been selected for beetroot, leaf beet, and chard.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2015, 19:46:20 »
Lovely day in Durham so planted some over-wintered rocket.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2015, 20:45:52 »
Lovely day in Durham so planted some over-wintered rocket.

Rocket and cress are so nice to have at this time of year.   :wave:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 08:17:32 »
I'm very slow to get going this year but I've just sown a variety of TPS, Celeriac Giant Prague Improved (from the Seed Circle  :icon_cheers:), Hablitzia Thamnoides. I've been potting up some Ullaco, Yacon, Tiger nuts and Oca.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 09:41:12 »
I need to pot on the peppers from the seed parcel - the piquantes and barons are jumping out of their modules.

And sow some beetroot, chicory and more spinach. Getting very impatient with this chilly Spring!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 18:18:21 »
Hi all, early spuds are planted undercover on the lottie, with Sungold potted on and coming along nicely on the kitchen window sill.        :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2015, 14:04:03 »
Today potting up mixed cherry plants, tomatoes sown 2nd week of March. Sown yesterday, chillies Rocoto Aji Largo, Espelette, Fish, Black Hungarian, Caldero F5, and from the Seed Circle Aji Fantasy, Trepadeira Werner, Piri Piri, Lemon Drop, Alberto Locotto.
Another a bit late - Aubergines,  Noong Ta Klong pea, Thai Lavender Frogs Egg and Diamond.
Also Pepino,
Tomatillo Plaza Latina Giant Green, Cisineros and Amarylla.
Naraanjilla
Tree Tomato

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2015, 17:57:32 »
Beautiful day today 23C in the back garden this afternoon and 35C in the greenhouse!!

I planted up some more french beans and runners. The Broccoli (Raab) and purple sprouting went out in to the hot raised bed and I put some french beans out in to the raised bed too.

The toms are coming on in the window sill - black cherry, tigerella and ailsa craig.

Chillis have been slow to get going but the seeds might have been from the year before last. I bought some plugs from worldofchillis.com so they should arrive soon; tabasco, chi chien, chinese space chilli & thai demon. Can't wait!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2015, 18:43:29 »
Just spent a cold afternoon on the plot which is looking too brown for my liking.  Came home and sowed some Celery, Celariac (never had much luck with them - but this year...), swede, turnips, spinach, cabbage, brussels and potted on some broccoli..
Some early spuds in buckets in the ploy.

Still slow but the toms are ok on the window sill with the chilis, aubergines looking a little sad.  Happy to be growing new varieties of toms and chillies.  Big Mama might be nice for paste as might Jersey Devil.  Big Thai, Birds Eye and some chillies imported from Thailand are looking good and hopefully will be fruity as well as hot.  The Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah is the slowest growing thing I have ever done!  Hopefully will pick up once we get some light and heat.

Really still waiting for that Spring explosion and I'll be ready when it comes!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2015, 21:59:18 »
Just wanted to say how useful this thread is for not forgetting stuff to sow - so thanks for sharing. Spring has come really early here this year, first swallows arrived mid March and all the allotment neighbours are busy planting. My wife came back from the market on Friday with 7 tomato plug plants' 4 aubergines, 6 mixed peppers, 12 lettuces and about 100 onions all for €5 so I'm sowing a lot less, it's just doesn't seem worth it for the standard stuff.

Will be sowing melons and cukes in the propagator tomorrow and have some lemon grass waiting to come up. Beetroot, carrots and mixed salad leaves sown outside today, parsnips just beginning to show and the grape vines are just beginning to show some life.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2015, 16:31:49 »
Hi, I've just earthed up some container spuds in my back garden.
Sungold Toms coming along
Rhubarb on lottie really coming to life.   :sunny:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2015, 18:01:52 »
Crosses between Dorbenton's kale and broccoli, and replanting everlasting onion seed. Welsh onion and Green Mountain potato onion are coming up strongly, and I'm wondering whether the everlasting onion seed is viable, but I'll give it another try.

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2015, 11:10:33 »
Beautiful morning and planted last of onion sets, planted out some cauliflower plants, sowed some Japana radish and planted out a third of a row of spinach plants. Not bad and all by 9.45. Just love this busy time of the allotment year.
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2015, 11:18:00 »
Beautiful morning and planted last of onion sets, planted out some cauliflower plants, sowed some Japana radish and planted out a third of a row of spinach plants. Not bad and all by 9.45. Just love this busy time of the allotment year.

Ohh...spinach! ...thanks for the reminder...I keep forgetting and the packets won't get used... :icon_thumleft:

Well...all spuds are done, broadies planted, sown loads of kale...broadcasted straight into bed and many varieties together so can get rid of some in bulk (...I keep hoarding too much....). Sown carrots...parsnips...planted few fruit bushes and trees (more to go yet...)...lot of brassicas sown in GH...and and...huh...it is all go! :sunny:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal