Author Topic: What are you planting or sowing now?  (Read 18592 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: What are you planting or sowing now?
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 21:16:09 »
I nipped down to the plot for the first time in ten days - I did my back in - and planted a few Welsh Onion and Everlasting Onion. The latter is known for not seeding, but it does happen occasionally, and someone sent me a seed head recently. I have more seed of both, but it should work with the temperature rising slowly. Crocus tommasinianus is in full bloom.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 00:06:42 »
Sorry to hear about your back Robert I have been there and I think I know what you are going through.

I was lucky to get an operation that cured it!

What I found that that helped was keep the small of the back covered up, particularly when I was bending over and my clothes tended to ride up to part or fully expose this area of my  back and allow the cold in!

Even now after all these years I still wear either a thermal vest or long tee shirt during cold weather, as I never want to go through that again!

However I am Glad to see that you are on the mend!.....Tg

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 07:40:07 »
When I was out in the Far East midrift-warmers (as underwear, rather than overwear) were popular.  I don't think I've seen them/much over here?

Nearest I could find easily on Google was this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/hippsy-ORIGINALS-kidney-lower-back-warmer/dp/B007XYZOUM

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 09:14:19 »
When I was out in the Far East midrift-warmers (as underwear, rather than overwear) were popular.  I don't think I've seen them/much over here?

Nearest I could find easily on Google was this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/hippsy-ORIGINALS-kidney-lower-back-warmer/dp/B007XYZOUM

Looks like a boob tube that slipped a bit  :tongue3:  Not wanting to advertise but my ancient thermal Damart undies are indestructible and still do good service after many years.  But I appreciate the bigger size (having slimmed a bit since I got them) because everything stays tucked in better. 

BIL got injections which have helped him a lot (not sure exactly what he got).  I had referred backache and could not walk more than a couple of hundred metres.  An NHS physio sorted me out and I still do the exercises and haven't looked back.  I am glad you could have a successful op Tee Gee.  Back ache is miserable.  Don't give up Robert, there must be a solution out there for you too!  All the best.   :wave:   
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:19:03 by galina »

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 09:33:56 »
A book:  "Treat your own back" by Robert McKenzie is worth a read.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 09:46:14 »
I'm curious to know what's in the pot in the middle of the coldframe?

Its a rather poorly charm chrysanthemum that was getting in my way in h greenhouse.

It might survive, I was hoping it would  send up some basal growth so that I could take cuttings, but I am not very optimistic!

Ah well, nothing ventured..!

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 08:29:50 »
Looks like a boob tube that slipped a bit

Yup, that's exactly what they looked like!  For anyone with Damarts they would be fine, but personally I only wear Long Johns / Thermal underwear in perishingly cold weather, whereas this "kidney tube" :) could be worn at any time that the back should not be exposed to wind etc.

For me it my neck, if I go out without a scarf I have to turn my whole body to look sideways for a couple of days :(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2015, 21:25:47 »
Thanks, everyone. I've now planted potato onion 'Green Mountain' seeds which arrived in the post yesterday. Seven lines of TPS went in yesterday, and are now sitting on the windowsill. three more arrived this morning, and will join them shortly.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2015, 11:06:10 »
Yup, that's exactly what they looked like!  For anyone with Damarts they would be fine, but personally I only wear Long Johns / Thermal underwear in perishingly cold weather, whereas this "kidney tube" :) could be worn at any time that the back should not be exposed to wind etc.

For me it my neck, if I go out without a scarf I have to turn my whole body to look sideways for a couple of days :(

I wear leggins under my jeans and they are, I suppose, similar to Long Johns.  I always wear a vest this weather and make sure that they are long enough to cover my backside si I don't have a gap of bare flesh exposed to the elements.  I have a few vests from Damart but bought a pack of 3 or 4 vests from Lidl for £5.  They aren't thermal but they are warm as well as being long.

So far I have only planted peppers, chillies, melons and tomatoes and they are indoors.  The problem is that I am running out of room!   

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2015, 17:10:09 »
I have some tomato seedlings three days after sowing, a few chillies, leeks and onions are up, and I'm planning some TPS over the next few days.

In the garden my broad beans are growing (I need to sow some more so I can see if there really is a difference between autumn-sown and spring-sown beans), shallots and garlic are getting established, and apparently last year's spinach has seen fit to give me a million little seedlings which I was not expecting!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2015, 17:41:16 »
Code: [Select]
So far I have only planted peppers, chillies, melons and tomatoes and they are indoors.  The problem is that I am running out of room!   

Me too... :BangHead: Does one ever make big enough light unit....or get big enough GH...NOPE!  :BangHead:
I'm starting to call up all the gardeners that I've promised to get some plants started..they can take over now and I can have some more room!

I haven't started that much...chillies are growing now quite fast and looks like they need potting on soon... :sunny:
I've started pick out tomato varieties and I'm sowing them tomorrow.
Peppers and 'scarlet' cape gooseberries AND 'tall' gooseberries AND 'just' cape gooseberries all need pricking out. (yes, 3 lots of 'supposedly different cape gooseberries and they are all same'... :BangHead:)
Few sweet potato plants are now taken on in compost and the old 'spuds' are thrown away to make room for other things.
Tigernuts are just coming up  :icon_cheers:
Water spinach are all up  :icon_cheers:
Pop beans are growing well..they are in GH under fleece and now that they are in cooler conditions they look much better...they were growing too quick and spindly under lights..being in GH, although much cooler place, they've become stronger and better looking plants :icon_cheers:
I've got LOADS of broad beans sowed in pots  :icon_cheers:
I've got several last years chilli plants in GH that survived winter in GH without any extra help from me... :icon_cheers:....BUT I've got already too many new chilli plants coming on...where am I going to put them all?!  :BangHead:
Potatoes have chitted nicely and first earlies are ready for plantng as soon as the temperature is more kind for my bones..brrrr....not very warm..
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 17:43:55 by goodlife »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2015, 19:18:33 »
Three more lines of TPS. That's Desiree, 'Diverse', Russian Blue, Russian Banana, Highland Burgundy Red, Amarilla, Violetta, Blue Belle, Skagit Magic and Kita Akari. Skagit Magic is the one to watch since it's blight resistant. Hopefully I'll be able to cross it with the others.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 19:29:20 by Robert_Brenchley »

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2015, 22:31:05 »
I'm hoping to add a few more TPSs to the seed circle this year, as I have a few varieties that are prone to setting berries.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2015, 23:20:53 »
Thanks, everyone. I've now planted potato onion 'Green Mountain' seeds which arrived in the post yesterday. Seven lines of TPS went in yesterday, and are now sitting on the windowsill. three more arrived this morning, and will join them shortly.

I'm on my 3rd year with Kelly Winterton's potato onions!  The seeds he sent me only made one surviving onion in the first year probably due to the weather.  I replanted it last year and it made 5 decent sized onions - unfortunately two of them rotted in storage but I've potted up the remaining 3 and they've made good roots in the greenhouse.  If all goes well this year I should have 15 of them or so.  With any luck I will be able to actually eat one to see if they taste any good next year (year 5!)

They are a brilliant concept - but growing them from seed and multiplying them up to a decent amount is definitely a labour of love.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2015, 01:43:55 »
Potato onion? That's a new one on me!

[Edit] Just looked them up and they look fantastic! Where did you get them from? I'm fascinated by all these "everlasting" vegetables and I'm planning a "perennial" bed when I get round to it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:47:07 by Silverleaf »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2015, 09:25:27 »

I'm on my 3rd year with Kelly Winterton's potato onions!  The seeds he sent me only made one surviving onion in the first year probably due to the weather.  I replanted it last year and it made 5 decent sized onions - unfortunately two of them rotted in storage but I've potted up the remaining 3 and they've made good roots in the greenhouse.  If all goes well this year I should have 15 of them or so.  With any luck I will be able to actually eat one to see if they taste any good next year (year 5!)

They are a brilliant concept - but growing them from seed and multiplying them up to a decent amount is definitely a labour of love.

An interesting read and a real eye opener for me was Kelly Winterton's booklet, here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jnqst7-9YfWFovhqjARtcZZVJC0TPzKsow_5mdAwnyA/edit
My own experiences, here
http://www.growingfoodsavingseeds.co.uk/forum/breeding-and-genetics/new-channel/1902-giant-shallots
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 09:40:17 by galina »

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2015, 13:21:17 »
Giant shallot ... that's really a much better description!  They used to be common in the USA, but are now quite rare.  The documentation by Kelly Winterton is very detailed and well worth reading - he really has done a huge amount to get people growing them again.

He will generously send seeds out for a small fee to cover postage when he has them - but as they're deliberately bred so as not to flower then the seed is a rare thing!  Each onion made this way is genetically unique and will have different properties.  I know Kelly offers his onions to send to the USA, but is reluctant to send them overseas due to postage cost and international regulations on plant tissue.

My aim is to keep multiplying mine up as they seem to divide well and make onions of a decent size - with the aim to have enough for myself to eat and keep growing (I really really hope they taste nice!) - and hopefully I will eventually have enough to share them around and I'll definitely offer them here if that happens.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2015, 22:29:51 »
Shallotts will flower occasionally, but like a dummy I've always snapped the flowers off. I won't be doing that again! If it's grown from a seed, then if Kelly's experience is anything to go by, the descendents should be more willing to flower, at least for a few generations. Time will tell!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2015, 23:46:06 »
Lots of interesting reading there! I'm very interested in these potato onions, and even more so if they are the same species as shallots. If that's the case, any of us who grow shallots might be able to save seeds and breed our own giant shallot varieties (or share the seeds with others for breeding).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2015, 15:01:19 »
Kelly Winterton says that he's tried it with shallotts, with similar results, but I haven't tried, yet. The behave in the same way, but relationships among alliums aren't always clear. I don't doubt that shallotts are just a type of potato onion, but what's the relationship with ordinary seed onions? I'm wondering whether potato onions are just an onion which has been selected for clumping and vegetative reproduction, while seed onions have been selected for seed production and single onions.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal