Author Topic: I have slips up  (Read 2780 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
I have slips up
« on: March 08, 2015, 09:31:42 »
The sweet potato has been sitting in a jar of water for more than two months.  Scrubbed it thoroughly several times.  Surprised it has not rotted.  Shaved the bottom off a couple of times where the cut end was going brown.  Put it on a sunny windowsill, and waited and waited...

and finally it has sprouted. :icon_cheers:  About half a dozen little pink shoots. :icon_cheers:

Never managed this before.  Now all I need is for my OH to knock it off the windowsill. 

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: I have slips up
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 11:09:31 »
Didnt realise you had to do through all that palava to get them to sprout. I thought sprouting them was similar to chitting potatoes.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 14:04:26 »
I have never had much success and someone on this forum said they put them in a jar of water.

They also seem to spray them with some kind of inhibiter so they do not tend to sprout hence the scrubbing.

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 16:46:26 »
Mines been in water a couple of months now, plenty of roots but no slips. Perhaps I should not give up yet.
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 20:32:35 »
Are they actually in the water? I haven't put mine in as I thought they might go rotten?
Glad you have success! :icon_cheers:

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 08:27:23 »
Are they actually in the water? I haven't put mine in as I thought they might go rotten?

When I grew mine I did sit the bottom of the tuber IN water (4x cocktail sticks stuck into the side of the tuber that suspended it on the rim of a glass, topped up the water occasionally so the bottom bit was always actually in the water)

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 08:42:31 »
How odd!  Mine have no roots at all.  Only the dark red shoots, thought they were mould so was about to throw it out when luckily I realised they were little hard lumps.

I just dumped mine in a  jar of water, it is sort of wedged in the top, so about two inches under water and the rest sticking out the top.

Surprisingly little rotting going on.  Have changed the water several times.  I might have removed any roots when I shaved the mould off the bottom.

Just counted I have ten little shoots, one is clearly becoming a leaf.  Getting exited.   :icon_cheers:

Realise that the chance of getting any sweet potatoes is about zero.  I go on holiday in May and it becomes very difficult to get tenders to survive two weeks away.  It probably would have been better to eat it in the first place.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 08:43:44 »
Mine are IN water..well 1/3 of the tubers are and yes, the water do need to be changed occasionally or things can get bit slimy and smelly.

Okra...roots are good...and they WILL send some 'sprouts' once there is some development. Hold on...they will come... :icon_thumleft:

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 14:23:19 »
Are the leaves always dark red?

Mine is similar about 1/4-1/3 in the water depends on if it need changing/refilling.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal