Author Topic: I am so 'weak'...  (Read 3501 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
I am so 'weak'...
« on: February 15, 2015, 12:55:35 »
....for a 'bargain'... :happy7:

This is what happened this weekend..so far...
One of my old BIG apple trees had to be felled down...it had bad rot in its trunk and it couldn't be saved. So, it was 'TIMBEEEER' time...chainsaw came and did its deed. Nothing going to be is wasted and all the wood is going to be put in good use  :angel11:
BUT....I've got now so much more space and light available for every corner in the plot.....HMMMM...what shall do with the space...options, options... :toothy10:
Spent restless night...brain ticking over time, pondering all the options....
Today I've been shopping....and Aldi had LOADS of fruit trees in offer....£3.90 for a tree!!!!!! How could I resist!? ..so I came home with 2, (ONLY 2 !! :drunken_smilie:)....and on the way back home, visit to Wilko resulted couple of black currant bushes for £5 (only got them because they were good size, not just twigs) :icon_cheers:.
Those added to my current 'stash' of rooted currant and goosegog cuttings (and other bough bushes)...I'll be soon turning some of the lawn over that was growing under the old apple tree and planting row of fruit bushes there....and apples can go where I had originally planned to plant the bushes.. :toothy10:
I'm always on about how I prefer fruit nurseries good quality young fruit trees....but I couldn't resist so cheap trees and particularly as they did look quite too. I just have to remember save some space for some other fruit trees that I ordered in autumn and they should arrive next month....

ACE

• Hectare
Re: I am so 'weak'...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 07:37:53 »
Those Aldi trees do look good, I got a  couple myself. You would usually pay a lot more for that size of tree. I usually buy from Deacons as I have a trade account with them but even then they are a lot more than Aldi and right on the doorstep.

I need really need to fence one side of the lottie as the cold NE wind can get a bit stong as it is straight from the coast. I reckon an open wire strand fence with aldi fruit trees espaliered along it will be a cheap but useful boundary.

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 08:07:56 »
I need really need to fence one side of the lottie as the cold NE wind can get a bit stong as it is straight from the coast. I reckon an open wire strand fence with aldi fruit trees espaliered along it will be a cheap but useful boundary.

I have a mixed (deciduous) hedge on the perimeter facing the prevailing wind (from SW here). Near that hedge I have a Hydrangea garden, its a plant that is very early into leaf in the Spring - they've started already.  Until the hedge gets leaves it offers very little protection to the Hydrangeas :( and I've found I am having to fleece them until Spring.

Maybe you don't need the shelter until late Spring? but I'm figuring that Espalier, pruned over winter, are going to offer no protection from the wind until the shoots have grown back, and then leafed up, substantially - so probably not until around June I reckon?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 08:49:20 »
Code: [Select]
I usually buy from Deacons as I have a trade account with them but even then they are a lot more than Aldi and right on the doorstep.

Deacon is on your 'doorstep'!!! Lucky you! I have bought most of my fruit trees from them and never had bad one or received less than good service from them...so I haven't really complained with their prices.
The only thing with 'cheapie' trees is that you don't know what rootstock they are crafted on...there is no indication about it what so ever..so supposed one does take little gamble with them.
Oh how I would love to visit that nursery....I bet there is lots of interesting things to see and learn....

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 09:10:48 »
would love a pear and plum with my 3 apples might nip over if there on dwarf root stock?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 09:45:09 »
would love a pear and plum with my 3 apples might nip over if there on dwarf root stock?
I'm not sure if they are or not. I suspect they might be on more of 'semi-dwarfing' stock which has potential to grow up to 14ft (don't quote me on that...just pulled in out of my 'hat' without checking it first..)..but apples can be train and prune quite easily to keep them smaller size..even with if the rootstock is not the best possible choice for the 'job'.
I will nip on the plot in a bit and have another look at the label to see if I missed any info..

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 10:19:21 »

Right Cambourne..I've just been to lottie...and fetched the shop labels in (yes, I did remember to write replacements).
The labels says about height.."Height will vary, depending on pruning. This variety will grow to approx. 1.5-3m (6-10ft)."

Good news!...that would put them in of dwarfing rootstock 'category' :icon_thumleft: :icon_cheers:

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 10:41:08 »
The only thing with 'cheapie' trees is that you don't know what rootstock they are crafted on...there is no indication about it what so ever..so supposed one does take little gamble with them.

Judging by comments on various other Forums I visit I don't think that's the only risk, sadly, it seems that there is also a risk that the plant does not match its label. People have had, in the past, Pears as Apples, Blackberries as Tayberries and all sorts, let alone wrong-variety of correct Genus (which many lay-folk won't realise / complain about to supplier if they just want "an apple that is a nice red colour" or whatever).

I prefer to get my fruit trees from a reputable supplier. It doesn't avoid a cockup in their despatch, but I think it makes it much less likely than buying from a box-shifter who is getting their plants from sources that may be unscrupulous in "disposing" of anything that inadvertently lost its label.

Also no telling how long their bare-root plants have been out of the ground, and in a plastic bag, whereas from a reputable nursery far more likely it was dug up and despatched "yesterday" and you are receiving and planting it "today". There are also posts on forums of people getting a twig with negligible roots, and saying "It only cost be a quid, wasn't worth taking it back to complain"; I think it is shocking that such mis-selling seems to be acceptable because the price was cheap.

Given the yield, over its lifetime, of (say) an apple tree I'd prefer to pay the £15 from a reputable nursery, specify the rootstock (and variety - nay GENUS as well!!) and have knowledgeable advice as to suitable for my soil / climate / conditions / pollination partners too.  I'd also prefer not to grow something for several years before discovering it is wrong and then having to spend that time, again, growing the right plant to harvesting maturity.

Either way, I recommend letting new fruit trees carry just one or two fruit (remove the rest) in the first year or two that it attempts to, so that you can check that it is the variety you thought you bought :).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:43:04 by kGarden »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 11:13:08 »

Oh how I would love to visit that nursery....I bet there is lots of interesting things to see and learn....

It is certainly interesting. But it is a working nursery, not really open to the public. I'm lucky, if I used to need something for a client I would pop in for a cuppa and pick their brains for which tree/variety/etc  would best suite their needs, giving them the all the details of soil/sun and especially what sort of people will be looking after it. I also give them feedback on anything I have planted over the years. But if you get a passport and head this way ever, it is always worth just dropping in, they are very friendly. Wellies and old clothes are a must what with all the mud and over friendly dogs.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 12:43:46 »

Judging by comments on various other Forums I visit I don't think that's the only risk, sadly, it seems that there is also a risk that the plant does not match its label. People have had, in the past, Pears as Apples, Blackberries as Tayberries and all sorts, let alone wrong-variety of correct Genus (which many lay-folk won't realise / complain about to supplier if they just want "an apple that is a nice red colour" or whatever).

I prefer to get my fruit trees from a reputable supplier. It doesn't avoid a cockup in their despatch, but I think it makes it much less likely than buying from a box-shifter who is getting their plants from sources that may be unscrupulous in "disposing" of anything that inadvertently lost its label.

Also no telling how long their bare-root plants have been out of the ground, and in a plastic bag, whereas from a reputable nursery far more likely it was dug up and despatched "yesterday" and you are receiving and planting it "today". There are also posts on forums of people getting a twig with negligible roots, and saying "It only cost be a quid, wasn't worth taking it back to complain"; I think it is shocking that such mis-selling seems to be acceptable because the price was cheap.

Given the yield, over its lifetime, of (say) an apple tree I'd prefer to pay the £15 from a reputable nursery, specify the rootstock (and variety - nay GENUS as well!!) and have knowledgeable advice as to suitable for my soil / climate / conditions / pollination partners too.  I'd also prefer not to grow something for several years before discovering it is wrong and then having to spend that time, again, growing the right plant to harvesting maturity.

Either way, I recommend letting new fruit trees carry just one or two fruit (remove the rest) in the first year or two that it attempts to, so that you can check that it is the variety you thought you bought :).

Yes, I agree with all that...and have always spoken out with similar thoughts...but..I'm only filling couple of gaps now. I have  20 odd other apple trees that are all from 'proper' nurseries...so if these don't quite 'work out' right it is not big loss..I do grow more apples than I use anyway.. :happy7:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 12:45:01 »

Wellies and old clothes are a must what with all the mud and over friendly dogs.
Sounds like my kind of place then... :icon_cheers:

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 13:06:58 »
I'm only filling couple of gaps now

Tangential thought: buy some rootstocks and graft some of your own? :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 13:17:04 »
I'm only filling couple of gaps now

Tangential thought: buy some rootstocks and graft some of your own? :)

Yes, I've done that in past too...but one always has to graft more than one does need to ensure right number of successful grafts.
Last time I did well, every single one did take.. when I only wanted odd few (sods law)...so then I ended up giving spare ones away..
I'm sure I'll be doing more grafts when the urge will hit again  :drunken_smilie: In fact.....I know I will, thats when I manage to get hold of one particular old Finnish variety that was found surviving only few years ago..so far getting hold of cuttings has been difficult..but I predict it will come available more often now that it has been crafted again and some cuttings has been given to first lot of Finnish apple growers. I WILL track some grower down to beg some cuttings to grow... :happy7:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 13:19:10 by goodlife »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal