Author Topic: Raspberry confusion  (Read 1760 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Raspberry confusion
« on: July 07, 2010, 10:04:21 »
I bought a couple of raspberry canes last year from the local garden centre, popped them in and they'll looking very healthy this year. Had a few raspberries last month and that was off a cane from last year. I'm now getting flowers appearing with berries behind them on some of this year's new canes. I've read up previously on Summer and Autumn varieties and pruning but I'm a bit confused now about what I have got and how to prune later on - any suggestions?

Cheers!
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Chrispy

• Hectare
Re: Raspberry confusion
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:43:13 »
Summer raspberries fruit in the summer on last years growth.
Autumn raspberries fruit in the autumn on this years growth, but will also fruit in the summer on last years growth if it was not cut down.

Sounds like you have autumn ones, although you should have had a crop in the first year, but you do not say when you got them, but I am assuming it was too late to get a crop for that year.

If they are autumn you should get a good crop off this years growth in the autumn.
Pruning is simple, come the winter just cut the whole lot done close to the ground.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:55:54 »
There's only one rule with rasps.

Cut down the cane once it has fruited. As soon as one cane is done and you have all the fruits off it, chop it down.

That way you don't get confused with summer or autumn fruiting.

leonmc0708

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 14:01:32 »
There's only one rule with rasps.

Cut down the cane once it has fruited. As soon as one cane is done and you have all the fruits off it, chop it down.

That way you don't get confused with summer or autumn fruiting.

I have been trying to find the right rule for ages. Brilliant yet simple.

thanks

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal