Author Topic: Seed Potatoes  (Read 2400 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Seed Potatoes
« on: February 06, 2015, 09:05:33 »
Local Garden centre they are 4.99.  Went to Horticultural supplier and they were only 2.95 for JBA.  Very pleased.  Much better looking as well, much more even small size.

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
Re: Seed Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 09:23:54 »
I have got mine from JBA for years, always had good quality.

They are not selling small packs this year though (new bagging equipment I believe) so 2kg (or maybe 2.5kg??) now their smallest size.

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 09:46:15 »
They are the boys, can't believe I used to buy at twice the price from Marshalls.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 10:20:51 »
Somebody told me of a small garden centre selling loose at £1.30 a kilo which you could mix and match from loads of varieties. I might get a couple of kilos to try compare the tastes when they grow. Do you think a magic marker would affect them as I will need to record what I buy and make a planting plan.

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 10:48:24 »
Somebody told me of a small garden centre selling loose at £1.30 a kilo which you could mix and match from loads of varieties. I might get a couple of kilos to try compare the tastes when they grow. Do you think a magic marker would affect them as I will need to record what I buy and make a planting plan.

Magic marker would be fine, but when buying "loose" at my local garden centre they provide paper bags, and a pen, so your only issue would be labelling them once you start chitting / planting.  I just write the planting label and put it in the chitting tray, and then its right-there (hopefully!!) when I later come to plant them out.  I tend to go for 5-tubers of something I want to taste-trial.  If I dig one up a bit early I can leave the rest until they have bulked up some more ...

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 10:50:27 »
I bought some at my local potato day. It's the first time I'd seen them sold singly! 14p each. I bought two each of twelve varieties, just so I could try lots of different ones.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 12:05:56 »
I tend to go for 5-tubers of something I want to taste-trial.   

I've only got a titchy alloment,  300m2 so one of each will have to do.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal