Author Topic: Severn Bore  (Read 2555 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Severn Bore
« on: February 02, 2015, 19:18:52 »
Has anyone got any experience of seeing the Severn Bore.  I have wanted to go for years but never got round to it.  The 20/21 February are some of the highest tides for years due to the positions of the sun and moon so I am planning to go on the 20th.   Does anyone know the best place to park?  It is a Friday so I am hoping it will not be as busy as the Saturday.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Re: Severn Bore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 09:34:48 »
It's certainly worth going to take a look. Quite spectacular. But it's no good giving advice on where to park as it's been about 20years since I went!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 12:18:48 »
Try googling; I know there are sites people go to, bu I don't remember where. It's worth the effort.

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 13:32:48 »
I don't know how fast it moves? but can you park & view somewhere down-stream, and then leg-it in the car further upstream and watch it all over again?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 15:11:52 »
I think viewing it twice sounds like a good idea, but I understand the surrounding roads get quite busy.    I will be happy with just the once.

The tides are particularly high this year, due to a particular alignment of the moon.  So there is apparently a 10 years high. 

You also have to be careful because sometime it goes over the banks and floods cars.  There is a Toby Carvery there as well so hope to take in breakfast as well.

There is plenty on Google but none of them are particularly specific.

Seems the best bore happen with tides over 31 feet but 20th Feb tide is estimated at 43 ft.   The highest on Friday is in Canada at 52 ft. 

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 09:28:20 »
There is plenty on Google but none of them are particularly specific.

Only thought that occurs to me is somewhere where the river banks narrow for some reason, should exagerate the effect

tides over 31 feet but 20th Feb tide is estimated at 43 ft.   The highest on Friday is in Canada at 52 ft.

Blimey!  I've sat in a restaurant (extended lunch :) ) in Guernsey harbour and seen Yachts sink from road level down to the point where you can only just see the tops of the masts!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal