Author Topic: seed sowing  (Read 3717 times)

lezelle

• Acre
seed sowing
« on: February 25, 2015, 08:45:45 »
Hi Ya, I have been holding off sowing seeds even in the greenhouse. This made me think what seeds have every body else been sowing? Have you sown yet? Like me are you delaying sowing? I am chamffing at the bit to get going but in the past found I went to early. I am looking at sowing a few bits today in the greenhouse. I will also prepare the cold frames down the plot and put the glass in to warm them up a bit hopefully. In the G/H I do use mini greenhouses as they are easier to keep frost free with a plastic and fleece cover and a small frost beater paraffin heater. Now the days are drawing out and getting warmer, I think, I will tentatively have a go. Happy gardening

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
Re: seed sowing
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 16:11:45 »
I've sowed Chilli Peppers and Onions to give them a long season, but the rest I don't start sowing until 01-March, and fast but tender growers, like Courgettes and Beans. much later than that

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 17:12:30 »
Much the same here - Some chillies and peppers so far, some onions soon.  I'll wait till March for most other stuff as it is still to cold even in the polytunnel.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 17:41:20 »
lezelle,

you can sow lettuce, peas and broad beans in the greenhouse now.  I sow peas and transplant for an earlier crop that as a rule does not get pea maggots.  If I sow later the maggots catch up.  If I sow outdoors, the mice tend to get the lot.  This has worked out best for me.

Broad beans and lettuce also transplant easily.   :wave:

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 17:47:40 »
you can sow lettuce, peas and broad beans in the greenhouse now.

Ah, good point. I have ALSO sown Broad Beans :)  Sowing some seeds of something that will help me remember what I have sown would be good!!!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 21:07:52 »
I have sown broad beans, the first batch are under bottles the second batch germinating on paper on the windowsill.  I must also start some parsley.  I am a bit late this year, I like to plant some out in early march.  I will soon get some snow peas started as well and the first peas.   More or less everything is going under plastic bottles - the voles are rampant and the hedgehog digs everything up.   

Might start some lettuce on the windowsill and mixed leaves.    I quite like mung beans and pea sprouts.

*Joanne*

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 23:36:00 »
Need to buy new seeds as all of mine have gotten wet :BangHead:

Never sure when to start sowing always seem to be late with my toms I will have good toms this years  :toothy10:
I would like to be a glow-worm.
A glow-worm's never glum.
Its hard to be downhearted
When the sun shines out your bum.

Joanne

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 17:50:19 »
I tried sowing toms and peppers last year without lights (it looked like a better year) but there were still dull weeks when everything stopped growing - and I didn't have any lights ready. The plants became pretty pointless.

LEDs are now cheaper than CFLs per Lumen - especially 12V strips that are safer to use anyway, so I have 3 running off a desktop HDD's PSU thro' a timer and the seedlings are responding really well.

The problem is always keeping them warm enough at night without them being at risk of boiling on a sunny day. One solution is to grow them deep indoors - but I can't afford to match daylight levels.

So in my sunroom I have a half-full fishtank (with a well-slanted heater set to 30C) that is the reservoir for a capillary matting shelf. I partly lift the tank cover on bright days to allow excess heat to escape (if I go away I just leave it lifted - the heater can cope - it's just much more expensive).

The other problem is fitting them in the restricted space - so I use tall square narrow pots made from old beer can metal to fit the maximum number (about 81 per sq ft - 900 per sq m).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 19:06:25 »
I sowed some tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers today at home will take them to the allotment when they are ready I cant sow anything in the greenhouse at the moment as I have got a broken pane of glass in the roof and so until its replaced everything is being sown at home
Barnsley S Yorks

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 20:32:13 »
chilli's, toms, some early potatoes, broad beans garlics been in the ground all winter as have onions

all my sowings are in a heated greenhouse though

small

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 09:18:58 »
Toms, parsley and basil  went in the propagator a fortnight ago, as did peppers but we won't talk about those since they haven't germinated......lettuce in a cold greenhouse 10 days ago, just been down and they are through, likewise radish and rocket.....I sow in small batches, then if stuff doesn't survive it's not the end of the world.
Don't you love the spring!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal