Author Topic: Amaryllis Bulb  (Read 2407 times)

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Amaryllis Bulb
« on: February 19, 2015, 21:26:25 »
Has anyone got any idea how to store an amaryllis bulb so that it will flower next spring?

Nora42

• Acre
Re: Amaryllis Bulb
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 21:48:56 »
Hi we had one two years ago - let it flower then remove the flower stalk once done so it doesn't go to seed, put out side in the garden in the sun - water occasionally. Bring it in in the autumn before a frost when the leaves have died back . We put ours into a dark cool cupboard until the spring when we top dressed the compost gave it a little water and lots of light and it flowered again. it went to seed and has not grown again this year.

hope that helps
Nora
Norf London

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 22:26:42 »
You don't have to 'store' it dry but keep it growing as 'houseplant'. After flowering give it few high potash feeds when watering and then keep it growing steadily...not too wet, but not too dry neither. You can occasionally give it general houseplant feed too.
And when the bulb is ready it will sprout new flower spike again.
After flowering you need to build the bulb up again...to give energy for the bulb to form flowers again...then it wants to 'rest' a little, so ease watering to keep the compost just slightly damp....when there start to develop more new growth, increase watering and give some feed again....and hopefully it gets ready to flower again.
There is chance that if it originally flowered in winter, it was forced to do so...this spring is too soon for new flowers, it will quite likely take full year to build up its energy levels again..so you won't see flowers again until spring 2016.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 22:30:56 »
To add..if you do want to store it 'dry'...you still need to go through the feeding up at first...come late spring, gradually ease with watering allowing the compost and greenery to dry. Don't remove any yellowing leaves until they are gone brown>>all the goodness from them has returned back to bulb. Once all has dried off you may 'clean' the bulb and store away until it is ready for potting on and 'waking up again'.
I find keeping it growing much easier, than totally drying and storing bulb successfully.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 10:40:32 »
Thanks for your advice. It was beautiful in flower and I would like to keep it going if I can.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 10:51:03 »
Another tip...(can't remember everything in one go.. :drunken_smilie:)
Nora already mentioned about sun...yet it will need good light and ideally some on bulb too, that is one reason it must not be planted too deep. You can take it outdoors during summer and keep it some sheltered corner...but don't allow it to 'bake'....and be careful with slugs and snails! There is another pest that you need to be aware of too if you decide to 'over summer' it outdoors...vine weevil, it grubs will love amaryllis roots! If know that you have issue with VW's in you garden, you have take care where/how to keep it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:53:17 by goodlife »

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 10:54:38 »
I'm terrible at looking after ours (but this is not intended to be a recommendation!!), and they perform just fine. I was given one for XMas each year for a decade or more, so I have a collection :)

I definitely feed them well after flowering with Tomato / high Potash fertiliser.  Other than that I just water. I cut the flower off to dead head (as already recommended), and when they die down I reduce the water. They often get left in the greenhouse over winter, so must get a touch of frost - I don't recommend that either! they won't get watered much / at all in the greenhouse over winter. They sprout in late Winter (they are on the go now) and then throw up a flower spike.

This year, as all previous years, I am promising that I will at least repot them, rather than them being in the same pot & compost for a decade ... with just high Potash feed to go on.

So if you give yours some love they will be better than mine which are "just fine" :)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 15:03:22 »
I still have flowering bulbs form one we bought in Holland the ear of the big storm. I often give out details of MY way of treating them when I do plant pot talks , if you or anyone else wants a copy sent via email let me have your email address, It si my way which may be different to others but that is gardening.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 16:46:37 »
I've just found an old one under a bench in the greenhouse. It's got a couple of leaves so i'vebrought it into the house and watered it- thought it was worth a try!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal