Author Topic: Composted green waste  (Read 2155 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Composted green waste
« on: May 17, 2015, 14:00:27 »
This year for the first time I have access to composted green waste from the council. Is there anything I should be aware of when using this in terms of chemicals etc, and what is the best use for it? It's pretty coarse with lots of bits of wood in it.I'm planning to use it as a mulch first so I can see what comes out of it. Thought I'd also try sowing some beans in it to test for nasties.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Composted green waste
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 14:56:01 »
It will have the same ingredients as the green waste bin at your local amenity site. Locally, that would be vast amounts of leylandii , laurel, all kinds of tree debris, grass mowings from unkempt lawns, rough grass, and everything too awful for those who compost. It will have been shredded, laid in long windrows, watered, turned, and sieved before carting to you. It may have a nutrient value but none will be declared. In most cases it will not provide any viable life form but nobody has tested (well ,reported) for micro-organisms nor toxins.
It will be ideal as a mulch, or soil conditioner. Personally, I would  not use it as a compost or apply to any area used for edible crops. I have used it beneath flowering shrubs and hedge plantings. It is available in prepacked bags here(50 litre size?) 3 for £10.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 16:10:32 »
I looked once to get some from our council....but they have price them out of my comfort zone. I can buy MP compost cheaper and be without worry of possible negative issues!
Some years back council used to bring huge heap of the stuff on our market when there was garden fair on..and one could bring one's own bags and take it away for free! Last time I looked into it they had priced it for £5.99 for 50l!!! Day light robbery I say.... :BangHead:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 17:07:49 »
At least this is free- bring your own bags and shovel! I know people who have used it for several years without any ill effects but I suppose I can't call myself an organic gardener if I don't know what's in it!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 17:10:33 »
We've been getting ours free for years now, as said lots of woody bits in the pile they get thrown on the paths, loads of other stuff like cutley and the likes.
I spread mine lightly on the soil over winter and mulch with it. When it gets tipped the vutures come out and pile it on the plot thinking everything will grow lovely if applied 8 inches thick but this is not the case, in my opinion there are no nutrients in it but hay ho.    :drunken_smilie:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 07:53:25 »
We have it available for pound a bag bring your own bag.  They are fairly lax about the size.

I find it good stuff but goose grass, cucumbers and tomatoes survive the composting. Had one batch with problems presume from lawn mowing but mostly fine.  I find it has good nutrient content.  If it contains too much leylanii I give it a miss.

Pile normally hot so shovelling tiring.

Testing with beans is a good precaution.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 08:34:20 »
For the Leicester Massive, Hawgrip Garden Centre in Enderby have a huge pile of it, £2 a bag, bring your own bag, they are also lax about the size but reserve the right to charge £2.50.  I think it's OK as a soil improver and after recent events with manure I'll be buying as much as I can get into the back of my car.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal