Author Topic: Have to wait a bit yet  (Read 2809 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Have to wait a bit yet
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:03:17 »
Started preparing the ground for the first earlies this morning. A few others at the allotments had the same idea. But after we had a bit of a chinwag decided against putting any in the ground. The ground is far too wet on the lower plots, it is not very well draining soil.

I might get away with it at the top of my plot where I have raised the topsoil by about 18 inches, but I had that area in mind for something else. Oh well, I'll give it another 10 days and review the situation.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Have to wait a bit yet
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 12:13:05 »
We had lovely and sunny weather in Saturday too...and there was quite few people about on plots and all manner of machines put to work. Several of us did have look around on each others plots and we too had talk about yes/no for putting spuds in ground. Most of us didn't bother..the soil is not too bad condition here...it does drain reasonably well but it is still tad on cold side. Even the weeds haven't started yet so surely it is little cold for spuds! (it doesn't kill them but there is not benefit for them neither)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 12:43:16 »
When I can see the cow parsley starting to grow in the hedgerows it is a good indication of it being warm enough. There is plenty of that springing up. But, like you, just too wet. I think I will dig a lot deeper next year and fill up a herring bone pattern with all the large stones and bricks that people have been raking to the sides of their plots. Also with a big soakaway at the bottom of the plot. That  should improve drainage and let me on the ground a bit earlier.

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 13:52:58 »
I am pretty well drained but it just will not stop raining down here. Nice day yesterday but too wet from Saturday - now raining AGAIN! Everything on hold waiting to go out, last bit waiting to be cleared after winter crops sitting with pools of water. :BangHead:

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 17:38:12 »
I'm further north than you Ace, but people on my site were putting first earlies in the ground this weekend. I think it's a bit too early so I've just got some on the go in the kitchen in a bag, just to take the edge off the itch in my fingers you understand....:)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 09:25:36 »
Thought I might start with a few. 

I will use plastic bottles of water to keep things warm.  They heat up during the day and then act as radiators during the night.

Days seem to be getting warmer but still cold overnight.

One of my plot neighbours has got his first row in.  He is very capable, so will follow his lead.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 11:33:46 »
I know I said another 10 days, but I had another look at the top end of the plot and it looked good and moist but not wet, easy to work without clogging so, to hell with it nothing ventured, nothing gained,  in they went. Warmth will not be a problem, I was down to shorts and a T shirt it was so hot. The broad beans seem to think so to, as they are all flowering merrily away. Even the bees were venturing around, the hives are only a plot away so I expect they are on short excursions at the moment, but they soon found my broad bean flowers.

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 07:56:52 »
All my first earliest are in pots in the greenhouse. I planted Kestrel a couple of days ago! Well drained site and sunny so fingers crossed.
Also last year's poor crop had me running out of home grown so I want to have a to have a rolling programme of planting.
Glad to see you up and planting Ace  :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal