Author Topic: Seed Sharing Circle 2015 and growing progress  (Read 145519 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Seed Sharing Circle 2015
« Reply #260 on: February 15, 2016, 09:14:19 »
And it has arrived in very good condition.  And it is  B I G!  Postie grumbled something about 'hernia'   :tongue3:

Absolutely fabulous Jayb.  Looking very good.  Beautifully sorted as well and what can I say - well worth waiting for!  Thank you for your generosity   :sunny:

Enjoy catching up with all the news Jayb.   :wave:  We are happy that you are better   :icon_cheers:

So chuffed I finally got my parcel together and posted to Galina, thank you for stepping in and keeping the Circle going  :icon_cheers:

I've lots of post reading to catch up on!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #261 on: February 15, 2016, 09:53:59 »
I've been a bit worried where your package might have got to, but today your seeds finally made it here, Martinburo.  :sunny:

Thank you for some fine varieties.  As you know, your parsnip seeds are eagerly awaited,   because home saved seed that is fresh germinates much better than bought seeds.   :wave:  Nice generous packets too.  Fresh viable seed is one of the advantages of seed circle membership.   :icon_cheers:

Thank you for your contribution.  I have sent you a pm.     :wave:

Now there is only one packet outstanding!

Just sent in my seeds.
The parsnips are F3 hybrids of about 5 different varieties. Parsnip seeds lose viability quickly to about 5% after 21 months (i.e. spring 2017), so use it or lose it.
Greek cress forms small florets (~3'' across) so can be used as a catch crop between rows of larger plants and to be harvested before those larger plants attain full size. They can also be sown after midsummer to be eaten in spring.
Marjoram is perennial.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #262 on: February 15, 2016, 11:13:01 »
Glad it arrived safely, I may have put too many weighty things in and some are bought in not saved, so not quite what the parcel is about. You might need to discard some of mine if you're short of space.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #263 on: February 15, 2016, 12:27:01 »
It's going to be so good seeing what everyone's been saving! Sounds like it'll be a fantastic parcel, and I'm very excited about it.

Personally I'm also really happy to think that people might be excited about my seeds too. It was lovely growing and harvesting things especially for the circle. :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #264 on: February 15, 2016, 12:44:58 »
Glad it arrived safely, I may have put too many weighty things in and some are bought in not saved, so not quite what the parcel is about. You might need to discard some of mine if you're short of space.

I think we will be just fine - this is why we went with the return postage for a small parcel, not a large letter.  I basically copied what you did last year  :happy7: 

pumkinlover

« Reply #265 on: February 15, 2016, 12:59:50 »
 :blob7: Great to see you back again Jayb :wave:

But wonderful of Galina to sort out this years distribution. :toothy10:
Did anyone listen to Gardeners Question Time at Brighton's seed Sunday. ? I was a bit disappointed to hear Jame's Wong say that it was a great opportunity to get rind of that packet of seed you had in the back of a drawer for ages and get something really rare and special in return. Hmm........ missing the point there a bit Mr Wong  :sad3:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #266 on: February 15, 2016, 14:17:24 »
Mine will be in the post tomorrow. I should have done them last week but I had a terrible cold and got nothing done at all!

martinburo

• Half Acre
« Reply #267 on: February 15, 2016, 14:24:02 »
Hi Galina,

Your inbox is full, I couldn't send you this PM.

For the incoming mail I think Royal mail is being strange, I measured it and it was definitely within the limits for a large letter. My apologies for not considering that there might be other things than seeds in the outgoing mail. Please let me know your account number and sort code and I will transfer the postage shortage to your account.

I organised a seed swap myself and had some people send more seed packets than needed. I thought you might like to have them.

Many apologies for the extra work,

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #268 on: February 15, 2016, 16:26:02 »
My bad Martinburo!  I was running my mailbox quite full and a few other pms pushed it over the limit today.  Sorry you had trouble reaching me.  Done a bit of housekeeping and made plenty of room for more messages.

Yes I queried it too.  The size was fine apparently, the weight was over.  Don't worry about it, it happens.  These days the post office is no longer making money out of letters, and as a result it's packets is where they earn their crust and where they are strict with the rates.  For the returns we have always had the small parcel rate, because a few bean or pea seed packets that collect at the bottom of the envelope can easily push the size/weight over the limit, not only tubers. 

I'll share out the extras, thank you.  Kind of you to think of us   :wave:

Hi Galina,

Your inbox is full, I couldn't send you this PM.

For the incoming mail I think Royal mail is being strange, I measured it and it was definitely within the limits for a large letter. My apologies for not considering that there might be other things than seeds in the outgoing mail. Please let me know your account number and sort code and I will transfer the postage shortage to your account.

I organised a seed swap myself and had some people send more seed packets than needed. I thought you might like to have them.

Many apologies for the extra work,

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #269 on: February 16, 2016, 13:43:06 »
:blob7: Great to see you back again Jayb :wave:

But wonderful of Galina to sort out this years distribution. :toothy10:
Did anyone listen to Gardeners Question Time at Brighton's seed Sunday. ? I was a bit disappointed to hear Jame's Wong say that it was a great opportunity to get rind of that packet of seed you had in the back of a drawer for ages and get something really rare and special in return. Hmm........ missing the point there a bit Mr Wong  :sad3:

Missed the programme, but what a numpty he is, and so respectful to others!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #270 on: February 16, 2016, 13:59:50 »
Mine will be in the post tomorrow. I should have done them last week but I had a terrible cold and got nothing done at all!

Glad they are on the way, I'm getting really excited about receiving my first proper Seed Circle parcel  :toothy10:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #271 on: February 16, 2016, 19:10:40 »
A peek into the Seed Sorting Office, ably supervised by mascot 'Sow and Grow'    :wave:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #272 on: February 16, 2016, 19:22:33 »
I've put in Babbington leek bulbils. They take about three seasons to reach flowering size; use the stem or the bulb like ordinary leeks. White potato onion seeds. These are some I saved last year; the parents are about the size of a smallish cooking onion, but I've no idea whether the seeds will come true. Minogue; this is what the Germans call a perlzweibel (the original pearl onion) and the Americans a perennial leek. It's best used as a substitute for spring onions. I also saved seed heads from elephant garlic, but few if any of the flowers set seed. The other two definitely have seeds, though my attempts at winnowing them were pretty pathetic. I've no idea what germination rate to expect; I've had both very good and very bad results from obscure alliums.  I left the seed heads on the plants as long as I could to give the seed a fair chance to ripen properly.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 19:34:17 by Robert_Brenchley »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #273 on: February 16, 2016, 20:12:51 »
Nice one Robert - no other alliums in the parcel  :wave:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #274 on: February 17, 2016, 00:01:30 »
Ahhh Robert, how did you know I was thinking about Babbington leeks? And the other alliums sound great too, especially the potato onions!

And Galina, thanks for the sneak peek. Can I just say, WOOOOOOOOOOO! Very exciting. :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #275 on: February 17, 2016, 09:55:38 »
Seed parcels look smashing, I'm sure I recognise that gorgeous art work too  :icon_cheers:

Nice selection Robert. Really looking forward to opening my parcel and looking though all the packets, thanks everyone,  :blob7:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #276 on: February 17, 2016, 12:02:23 »
Sorry Robert and group,  Postie has just been but no envelope from you today.

Talking about alliums, I have just checked in the conservatory and have enough of 'Walking Onion' bulbils for a small share each.  I know I've put them into this circle a few years ago already, but members have changed.  If you don't need them for the plot, just add the little onions to your next soup or stew  :wave:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #277 on: February 17, 2016, 18:36:13 »
It's as if you two KNEW I'd drawn out a plan of where everything's going my allium bed literally yesterday morning! Now I have to redraw...

...but that's a great problem to have. :D

Galina, I've had my eye on walking onions for a while too, so I'm very grateful you're sharing. :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #278 on: February 18, 2016, 07:25:41 »
I had to empty my plot of alliums last year due to seeming so many bugs and diseases. Will try another area and am really looking forward to fresh stock   :toothy10:

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #279 on: February 18, 2016, 11:50:59 »
I've just read these last few post sitting in full sunshine gladdens the heart it does, thanks everyone.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal