Author Topic: Sungold tomato, grafted  (Read 1467 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
Sungold tomato, grafted
« on: September 13, 2018, 18:14:54 »
Earlier this year I wrote about the grafted sungold tomato plant I'd found in a French nursery.  Not cheap at 5 euros (£4.50 perhaps) but it has been brilliant.  In the past i've sown the seed from expensive packets that contain about seeds.  But the last two years for various reasons, I've bought plants. 
I grow around  twenty plants, outdoors.  This year at least eight different varieties.  But the best and most productive has been the grafted sungold.  I kept the bottom four side shoots, and grew them up separate 'squirly' poles, thus having effectively five plants.  I've frequently picked 40 tomatoes in one day.  Today I picked 119.  There are loads more to come.  So although it seemed expensive, the result has been more than worth it.

A beautiful orangey soup done!

Tralfamadorean

• Not So New ...
Re: Sungold tomato, grafted
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 17:32:57 »
Sungold is a lovely tomato. I grew it regularly 20 years ago but the seed became unavailable, and I moved on to other varieties, and never found my way back. I've used grafted tomatoes in the past (out door Crimson crush for their blight resistance) and the were as you have said amazing. This year I switched to the Quadgrow system in my greenhouse for both tomatoes and chillies. Had problems with the feed (Nutrigrow) so switched back to Tomarite, and adopted the hydro-culture method of using electrical conductivity to assess the amount of feed necessary (using a conductivity meter). The results have been exceptional. An abundance of huge tomatoes, and a superb chilli harvest - even the Trinidadian Scorpion has been fantastic . BUT, you have whetted my appetite, and I will be growing the marvellous Sungold next season.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 18:34:28 »
Sungold, my favourite tasting tomato without a doubt.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 09:00:12 »
I grew 'Golden Cherry'  this year..  Apparently a sister to Sungold and pretty decent. 
From T and M
 "Tomato 'Golden Cherry' is a sister variety to the ever popular Tomato 'Sungold', producing a very heavy crop of delicious sweet cherry tomatoes. The bite-sized golden fruits have thin skins and resist cracking, so they can remain on the vine for even longer. If you love Tomato Sungold this cordon variety really is worth a try."
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal