Author Topic: Which asparagus?  (Read 3789 times)

Lilyandpoppysmum

• Not So New ...
Which asparagus?
« on: March 23, 2012, 20:47:36 »
I have just managed to find someone wanting to share their allotment (all this lists are closed here).  As I now have more space I can grow some asparagus for the first time.  Has anyone got any favourites for flavour?? Many thanks

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Which asparagus?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 21:21:03 »
these are ones i grow

Connovers Colossal

This variety has received the RHS Award of Garden Merit (AGM) as it is an outstanding variety. It is open pollinated, with both male and female plants, slightly bigger purple tipped spears and produces a huge yield for a non hybrid variety.
Pacific Purple F1

A variety from New Zealand producing heavy yields of purple spears which are high in antioxidants, tender, sweet and delicious eaten raw.
Gijnlim F1

This male dominant F1 hybrid produces heavy crops on sandy or clay soils early to mid season. High resistance to rust. Awarded the RHS Award Of Garden Merit (AGM).
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:32:06 »
When in the Uk we made a big bed of Cito, it was great right from the start, the root spread was huge better than anything I has seen and I have put in seberal beds in my lifetime. I think it was  french one..just super

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:35:38 »
I've got one of the UC strains (72 I think) and although I can't comment on the flavour yet the plants are very hardy and it was a doddle to grow from seed....they spent a year in badly managed 3" pots and of 90 plants something like 75 survived.... got them into bigger pots for a year then planted out 20-something in my asparagus bed... gave the rest away....THe seeds cost a quid on ebay from Premier Seeds Direct IIRC...

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 13:42:07 »
I'm a great believer in the Dutch male hybrids and am very happy with Gijnlim and Backlim. One of them is earlier than the other, I forget which, but they are in separate rows and one row shoots up noticeably early (but nothing yet!)

No berries to put energy into, and no seedlings to keep rooting out. My bed of 20 plants is about 10 years old and very productive, so I feel I've got my moneysworth out of buying one year crowns.

Lilyandpoppysmum

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 20:30:59 »
Thanks all, have now put my order in :)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 19:25:43 »
I'm a great believer in the Dutch male hybrids and am very happy with Gijnlim and Backlim. One of them is earlier than the other, I forget which, but they are in separate rows and one row shoots up noticeably early (but nothing yet!)

No berries to put energy into, and no seedlings to keep rooting out. My bed of 20 plants is about 10 years old and very productive, so I feel I've got my moneysworth out of buying one year crowns.

Artichoke , is one better than the other taste-wise?
Jackie

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 22:03:20 »
This seems to be an old thread yet has come up today, so I am answering it. To me, Gijnlim and Backlim taste much the same. I have eaten many varieties of asparagus over about 40 years, and as long as I have butter and lemon juice with them, and they are freshly picked (not the wizened ones in supermarkets)  and simmered for only a few minutes, they are all fantastic as fresh greenery in early spring.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 13:03:43 »
Thanks Artichoke. I had read a trial that mentioned one of the two was slightly bitter....but cannot now find the trial.
Sounds good to me.
Jackie

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 11:04:35 »
I've got Gijnlim and they taste very good. I believe the spears are thinner than Backlim.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal