Author Topic: Seed compost  (Read 7207 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Seed compost
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 13:03:39 »
Sorry, one other thing.  I now remember the foreman saying, at the outset, that it was important to lay the bricks "smiling".  He's a big chap, so I wouldn't expect Feng Shui  to be his bag :) so perhaps its just aesthetics.  Ours are definitely smiling, which would have negated them being laid the other way up.

Hi kG

First of all I am not trying for 'brownie points' just trying to clarify a point that is even controversial in the trade!

First of I was an apprentice trained bricklayer which included doing the technical side of the trade at Tech College going on to get my City & Guilds and HNC (sorry you have got me bragging)  :BangHead:

This is when I found out about this UP and DOWN thing as we had to do tests on materials and building techniques and this was one of the issues we had to address.

OK back to the point ;

As I said in my previous post one way is easier than the other and that google you did more or less confirmed that.

I take note of your point;was the risk of drilling the wall, later, and hitting an air gap in a frog (laid down) which would then mean that the fixing was weaker.

You would be surprised how common this situation is , particularly if you are drilling into an old  style London Brick Company brick, which were like wafers, but a dawdle to lay, particularly if they were laid frog down.

So there is a lot more to it than meets the eye!

For instance did you know that the mortar should be of a lesser strength than the mortar?

This is to cater for building settlement i.e. it is better for the mortar to crack during the buildings settling period rather than the brick because you can re-point the mortar.

Why have all those old buildings that have stood the test of time not cracked like some of the more modern buildings?

The were built with lime mortar rather than cement mortar!

On that matter of lay the bricks "smiling".

I am not sure what he meant by that because local terminology for the same tasks can be quite different.

In fact the first question on all C&G exams was; What area in the UK did you take your training this was to cater for just such anomalies.

For instance I was taught that ( as we called it) Hatching and Grinning is poor workmanship.

This is difficult to describe in writing but it basically means on each successive course the edges of the bricks are not flush i.e. there is a tiny projection (lip) where the bottom of the upper course meets the course below.

This is known by me as 'grinning' could this mean 'smiling' in your neck of the woods? I don't know!

The best time to see this is when the sun shines along at an angle that creates shadows that you would otherwise not see in normal light.

It is not often a problem, and if there is a problem it is usually caused by frost!

If the bricks are relatively soft   and with certain types of pointing water sits on this lip then it freezes and this expansion can cause the edge of the brick to break off!

So hopefully its you that is smiling with the quality of your extension not the bricks.

There endeth my lesson on Bricklaying.  :wave:

Now lets get back to growing Primulas :happy7:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 13:18:24 »
Nothing wrong with little bit of education....all very interesting  :icon_thumleft: My small sponge brain is trying to sup all the info up as it may come useful in future :drunken_smilie:

ah...primulas..... :sunny:

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 11:02:01 »
 :BangHead :BangHead: Oh dear what did I start , I was only trying to explain one way of sowing seeds.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 11:52:10 »
:BangHead :BangHead: Oh dear what did I start , I was only trying to explain one way of sowing seeds.

:laughing7:

I'm glad you did...it has provided me with some education, ideas and entertainment  :icon_thumleft:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 11:55:42 »
Thanks, me too, it's a very interesting method Laurieuk, not one I've used before and like Goodlife will be having a go as soon as I have some seed ripe. I sometimes sow things mid summer and this seems like it could be a good way to keep seeds moist in warmer weather.

Interesting reading through, I must admit I just go with a multi- purpose compost, but good to get some more ideas. I'll have to get motivated.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 12:53:32 »

Don't worry about it Laurie its mt fault really for going on a bit!

What it was Goodlife didn't know what a 'frog' was and kGardener mentioned to lay it upside down.

And I had nothing better to so I started reminiscing, and I am afraid I went a bit over the top in my explanations.

My apologies to everyone I hope I haven't offended anybody!....Tg

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 13:05:31 »
And I had nothing better to so I started reminiscing, and I am afraid I went a bit over the top in my explanations.

You absolutely didn't go over the top (well in my opinion that is). I like when people carry on and 'rattle'...it makes our posts so much more interesting and one always pick new tips or learn something new  :icon_thumleft: As long as we don't start riot here, I can't see nothing wrong with it.
It would be so boring here if we don't get any conversations going...even if it is slightly off topic. Thanks for moderators for not being too picky of these thing...admittedly I always carry on and go off topic...'slap on my wrists' :glasses9:

LETS RATTLE MORE!!! :icon_cheers:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal