Author Topic: Started my hot chilli's  (Read 15787 times)

clumsy

• Half Acre
Started my hot chilli's
« on: January 18, 2015, 11:22:03 »
I don't have a propagator so I use a damp cloth and a plastic container to sprout the chilli seeds. I soak the seeds in seaweed solution for 2 days and then put all the seeds on a damp cloth in a plastic container the one's you get from the takeaway. Place the container on top of the central heating radiator wait a couple of days, As they sprout place them in compost or jiffy pellets.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Started my hot chilli's
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 11:50:41 »
I have done sowings similar way with toms but never attempted with chillies and peppers....nice to see it working.
So.....what varieties did you sow? It is called teasing, for being so vague...'hot chillies' is not good enough description!

:tongue3: :angel11:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 11:58:20 »
Oooh yes, what varieties have you got sprouting?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 15:44:39 »
When do we start our peppers please?

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 16:46:04 »
Sorry Here's the list so far. Plus will add more varieties of chilli in my second batch which will be next month.

7pot Brainstrain Yellow
Fatilli
Aribibi Gusano pepper
Habanero Orange Devil
Aji Umba
Aji Pineapple
Bhut jolokia
Black Habanero
Black Naga
Trinidad Scorpion

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 08:07:33 »
A nice list there clumsy.  I am a fan of the fatali range - I grew Fatali Red last year - very productive and very hot.  Black Naga sounds fun. 
I am still undecided on my varieties this year so you have given me some food for thought..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 09:03:36 »
 Lots of interesting varieties  on your list Clumsy, I love the look of Aji Pineapple, Aji Umba and Black Naga. But most are off my comfort scale, maybe oneday  :toothy10:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 12:03:48 »
Oh, you like some 'mouth tinglers' too  :icon_thumleft:
I'm partial all habanero types for their distinctive flavour. Last year Aribibi was new one for me...and I LOVE IT  :icon_cheers:
So small chillies but so much flavour and I shall grow them again..well, hoping I do, seeds are in propagator, hopefully germinating soon.

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 16:39:54 »
I chose Aribibi after reading your posts goodlife so I thought I should grow them also. The update on how the sprouted seeds have now become little seedlings.

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 17:50:48 »
I need the weather to warm up very soon, so I could plant these in the unheated greenhouse.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 21:04:48 »
When do they go in the greenhouse? Mine look great under the lights at the moment but I'm not sure when I'll be able to move them from indoors...

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 08:30:38 »
Last year I moved mine out quite early but I think my poly wont offer much protection if it gets too cold (which looks possible over the next week).  I think I may be shuffling them back and forth a bit just to stop them getting too leggy..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 09:30:34 »
just sowed mine in my unheated green house hope they will germinate  that is an impressive list of hot chillis i must say well done you :blob7:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 16:08:55 »
Silverleaf I think next weekend depending on the weather I will be planting them in there final position in the greenhouse. I think they should be ok.

johhnyco15 thankyou I love hot chilli's and different variants I try to grow each year.

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 19:02:54 »
Some of the plants are now flowering.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 19:27:43 »
Mine are flowering too and some have already small fruit on.. :icon_cheers: It won't be long now....

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 22:08:18 »
Looking good Clumsy.
I've a couple of rescue 10p Jalapenos from B&Q (they left the little seedlings outside in the cold) and I felt so sorry for them I bought two. I wasn't sure they were going to grow but they have done so well they have flowers.
The ones I've grown from seed are coming on well and I can see a few flower buds on the furthest ahead yayyy  :blob7:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 23:53:30 »
I don't think mine are near flowering, but the plants look healthy.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 06:27:51 »
First flower buds here too.  However I have an aphid problem.  They are especially congregating on the flower buds and on the underside of the leaves.  I am constantly swabbing aphids with cottonbuds dunked in a weak insecticidal soap solution.  What are you doing to deal with the little s.ds?   :BangHead:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 07:10:21 »
First flower buds here too.  However I have an aphid problem.  They are especially congregating on the flower buds and on the underside of the leaves.  I am constantly swabbing aphids with cottonbuds dunked in a weak insecticidal soap solution.  What are you doing to deal with the little s.ds?   :BangHead:
Oh that is irritating. Over here mine are without its extra 'crop of protein'...so far.
Last year I had one plant that got hammered with aphids. I did just what you do and when I got fed up with it...I found few ladybirds that gave firm talking to before I let them loose to their job.
It worked! :glasses9:

So far I haven't seen aphids....no ladybirds...I think they haven't quite woken up yet...still tad fresh at times, even for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal