Author Topic: My Perennial Question  (Read 16706 times)

pumkinlover

Re: My Perennial Question
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 15:18:54 »
Thanks Nora and Pescador!
Well we didn't feel the market trader was very obliging when we asked yesterday so had a trip to Waitrose in Sheffield. Even got changed out of my usual scruffy attire! Like I said to OH when retired you have to make the most of these little trips out.
Just in case all the marmalade makers of South Yorkshire had already got there or the oranges hadn't got this far north I phoned up first to get an update to ensure a worthwhile trip.
Get the preserving pan down !  :blob7:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 15:25:05 by pumpkinlover »

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 18:08:13 »
Bought some lovely Sevilles from the local greengrocer this morning for only 69p/lb. Last year they were 87or 89p!!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

pumkinlover

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 18:22:21 »
Bought some lovely Sevilles from the local greengrocer this morning for only 69p/lb. Last year they were 87or 89p!!

Thanks Pescador!  You are lucky to have a local greengrocer ours shut about 15 years ago. He used to drop off my shopping if I was walking and bring all the "past it " and trimmings for my composting. Now that's service  :toothy10:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 18:26:25 by pumpkinlover »

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 18:42:38 »
I got mine today they are soaking over night I use the long method of making marmalade not the whole fruit one but I am considering using ordinary sugar not demerara sugar as it works out more expensive - but then I may do another batch to compare the price / quality/colour
Nora
Norf London

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 19:01:50 »
I got mine today they are soaking over night I use the long method of making marmalade not the whole fruit one but I am considering using ordinary sugar not demerara sugar as it works out more expensive - but then I may do another batch to compare the price / quality/colour
Nora

What is the long method please Nora

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 12:20:16 »
Hi lottie Lou,

the long method just means washing and slicing up the fruit into shreds before cooking it produces brighter peel colours than when the fruit is boiled whole and then sliced. You soak the fruit in the juice and water 24 hours before cooking.
hope that helps Nora
Norf London

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2015, 10:25:59 »
Well, this is a record for me! Bought some beautiful Sevilles today @ 89p/lb. Great quality and a week earlier than last year.
Let brewing commence!!
Every pickle helps!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 12:47:59 »
Exactly the same date and price this year!
Can't start brewing until Sunday as we've got family visiting, so there's 6kg of beautiful oranges just sitting in the garage, and I'm locking away the whisky and orange liqueur so that I don't demolish them before using them as intended!

For those who were worried about oranges being used from the trees in the streets, check-out this website, www.huertaavemaria.com to see how they're really produced!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 12:55:51 by Pescador »
Every pickle helps!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 16:08:06 »
Seville Orange, Ginger, Whisky and Orange & Blueberry with Orange Liqueur marmalades done and in the stock room.
New flavour being considered, Cane Sugar and Rum Marmalade, aka Pirates Marmalade!
Every pickle helps!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 12:01:40 »
Absolutely smashed my record for the earliest purchase date. 22nd December this year!! I spoke to my nearest greengrocer last week, and he said they were in the wholesale market, but he wasn't buying any before Christmas as no one wanted them.
I said I'd buy a complete box, so they didn't even have to go into the shop, but he wasn't interested.
Quick phone call to one in the next town and he got me an 18kg box at 1.25p/kg (57p/lb).
Picked them up at 07.30 on Friday morning and had finished 2 brews by lunchtime!
Then a break for Christmas celebrations, and back to brewing again! By the end of the year I'll have 5 different marmalades available.
Every pickle helps!

pumkinlover

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2017, 07:58:18 »
We will be on the lookout now.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2017, 08:19:03 »
Production in full flow now with Seville, Ginger, Whisky, Orange &Blueberry with Orange Liqueur, and Cane Sugar Ginger and Rum. Now I've just got to ramp up the volume while Sevilles are still in season.
Every pickle helps!

pumkinlover

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2018, 07:54:40 »
I got some on New year's Eve !

suncekoret

• Not So New ...
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2018, 19:00:59 »
Made mine just before Christmas - 2kg Sevilles made 12 jars but it took 2 hours to chop all the peel

Like others I think its really important to use organic oranges for marmalade to avoid the pesticides and fungicides and disinectants

Sweet oranges may also have orange colouring sprayed on post harvest " to improve appearance"  Take Care!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 16:13:08 »
How sharp is your knife, Suncekoret? I am by no means a fast slicer but can do 1.1kg in 30 minutes for a medium peel. Add 5 mins  for a fine cut and reduce 5 mins for a coarse cut.
One pass of the knife is all that's needed, no sawing movement, so if you're having to move the knife back and fore, it's taking you a lot longer. So you just need to sharpen your knife properly.
Every pickle helps!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 19:15:43 »
I came across a recipe for blood orange and chilli marmalade on BBC Good Food website yesterday.   Now I just have to wait for organic blood oranges to appear on sale.   I thought they were in season about now but haven't seen any yet.
Obxx - Vendée France

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2018, 09:49:18 »
Well, I'm really struggling this year, can't find a Seville anywhere!!
Anyone seen any?
Every pickle helps!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2018, 11:04:53 »
Now there's an idea. What are we going to do with all these lemons and limes? she asked, now you are not drinking your gin for  while. Usually we would freeze them in segments to pop straight into drinks, but marmalade! Yes.

The zest goes into boring vodka or schnapps for a month, the juice goes into cheap sterilised orange juice ~5% makes it better than the most expensive stuff you can buy.

I must get a Yuzu this year...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2018, 15:08:46 »
I thought Seville oranges weren't in season till later in January so it's a bit early yet.

I have a yuzu but it is still small so no fruit yet but the Meyer lemon and limquat are in full fruiting mode in the polytunnel.
Obxx - Vendée France

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2018, 16:26:30 »
Normally available late December. Got 5kg in Waitrose this afternoon, bloody pricey but at least I can get brewing!
Every pickle helps!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal