Author Topic: Targets, Hopes, Resolutions for 2015?  (Read 2981 times)

Pescador

• Hectare
Targets, Hopes, Resolutions for 2015?
« on: December 28, 2014, 21:05:34 »
In 2014 I produced 810 jars of Jams, Marmalades, Chutneys and Pickles. Target for 2015 is 2000 jars

My Summer Sprouting Broccoli didn't do a bloody thing... get that sorted out in 2015.

White Rot prevented me growing any Alliums in 2014. Treat 2016 Allium site with garlic granules to try to minimise it.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
Re: Targets, Hopes, Resolutions for 2015?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 08:57:52 »
Target to grow a lot more than last year and try to grow lettuce for 12 months
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 10:45:31 »
I am determined to crack the problems I've had with beetroot for the last few years.   Can't get it to grow from seed or plugs though it's done well in other years so it's a bit of a mystery.
Obxx - Vendée France

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 10:50:47 »
I need more space so I am either going to annoy Mrs B by taking over more of the garden or I get another plot.  Just checked my local plots which are 5 mins away - 4 year wait!!  Looks like I need another plan.

That and plant more fruit.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 13:34:01 »
Target is to increase last year's approx 50% of veg cultivated through Mypex / weed suppressing woven membrane to 100% (well, there might be a couple of crops that I don't - not sure about harvesting Parsnips through Mypex for example)

My Leeks have always been OK, but this year's are outstanding (by my standards!), and all other veg have been close to zero-weeds and minimal irrigation in periods of prolonged lack of rainfall in summer.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 15:19:14 »
I have always said I would give up carrots, but this year I got 3 decent ones which has spurred me on (yes Ok 3 is just a ridiculous number I know!)
Also I have containers to grow carrots and beetroot without the voles eating them so this is my last ditch attempt.
I would like to get my brassica to work this year. The first couple of years they worked well, at least cabbage but this year and last year they were unsuccessful. Very odd.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 18:05:24 »
I have always said I would give up carrots, but this year I got 3 decent ones which has spurred me on (yes Ok 3 is just a ridiculous number I know!)

It is worth persevering with carrots. I have had fly and slug problems for years and had only partial success but this year I seem to have cracked it - got tons of carrots with only a little damage from the aforementioned pests.  You get a huge crop from a relatively small area.

I must do better with leeks though - they always seem to get moth infested or fall over or get rust.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 21:08:46 »
I am trying to lengthen time I have raspberries and strawberries, so have sourced late summer varieties of each.

I failed miserably with carrots again, though the first year on the allotments I did well.  Can only suspect slugs, because each plot started so well without them (eaten by pigs).  Hope to try in a large tub this year.   But we have problems with both voles and deer both who like a nice juicy carrot.

Big problem with weeds this year, so I am resolved it to try and reduce them.   

Need to find a way to protect my rhubarb, hope to build large cages for it.  I now have a spy camera as well so hope to catch the thief with a rhubarb fetish at it.

But my biggest resolution is not to fall over.   

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal