Author Topic: Why haven't I used it before?  (Read 6510 times)

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Why haven't I used it before?
« on: December 27, 2014, 12:46:32 »
I was stuck for oven space in cooking dinner for 10 on Boxing day. So what did I do but got out the unused halogen oven which I've had for well over a year. Think I was a bit afraid of it, but with my daughter's help used it without any problems. What a revelation, ever so quick, nice crispy potatoes and pigs in blankets. No holding me back now!!

pumkinlover

Re: Why haven't I used it before?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 13:32:49 »
I got a halogen oven after hearing about them on here. Wouldn't be with out it now and the first time that I have been able to make Yorkshire puddings!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 13:52:28 »
How did you do your yorkshires?  Tried it once but they weren't that good so went back to using the normal oven however on Chrismas Day filled the bin with yorkshires that weren't quite right - eventually managed them on the 4th or 5th attempt.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 14:26:19 »
Glad it worked out so well, aren't they just amazing little cookers for the size  :toothy10:
I finally got a new cooker in time for Christmas (after 2 years without) which is fantastic and even though it wasn't a space issue, I still did my roasties in the halogen because it does them so well!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 17:59:30 »
Lottie lou .I can't do a link on my phone but if you Google Yorkshire pudding in a halogen oven and follow the link for Melandmal.com   I use their recipe  :wave:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 18:01:19 by pumpkinlover »

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 19:42:48 »
Thanks Pumpkinlover.  Its totally shameful that a Yorkshire lass like me can't do a decent yorkshire.

May

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 20:00:30 »
Thanks Pumpkinlover.  Its totally shameful that a Yorkshire lass like me can't do a decent yorkshire.

May
:wave: That's how I felt till I tried using the halogen oven
Another thing is that I used to beat the mix for too long till I read to just carefully blend in the milk and water. I hope it works for you..

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 01:20:58 »
I used my microwave which is also a combination oven a lot of times over Christmas, must admit I didn't realise it was. Till my daughter told me. Going to be using it a lot more often in the future, cooked the roasties to perfection and also the yorkies

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 10:18:29 »
These are the Yorkshires I made in my halogen oven yesterday. I'm loving it. Just enough for the two of us

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 11:50:28 »
These are the Yorkshires I made in my halogen oven yesterday. I'm loving it. Just enough for the two of us

Blimey they look good, are these the calorie free ones  :tongue3:

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 12:12:27 »

Blimey they look good, are these the calorie free ones  :tongue3:

They got snapped up!  :glasses9:

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 12:15:49 »
Ho Ho Ho !   I'll try again.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 18:16:30 »
I haven't cooked Yorkshire's for years as I never do roast beef.  The ubiquitous Belgian Bleu Blanc is tasteless as it has no fat and you need a mortgage to buy Irish beef here tho I do sometimes get steaks in special offer.   Anyway, I recently did some Yorkies to have with lamb and used James Martin's recipe on BBC Food and now they've become a regular item.  His recipe is far richer than anything we ever had when I was growing up but is delicious and cooks up a treat in my fan oven while the joint is resting.
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 21:20:41 »
Don't know why it took you a year.  Great piece of kit.  The glass bowl is so much easier than an oven to clean.

I learned to cook great Yorkie Puds in California.  Realised it was the flour, so now I always use Strong Bread Flour and they are always huge.

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 07:57:49 »
I have not used strong bread flour but will now. Agree with you Digeroo so easy to clean  :icon_cheers:

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 09:21:37 »
Do Luv a nice crisp Yorky,and yes,another vote for james martins recipe....full on but tasty now and again.

Yep,agree with Halogen,having moved here and been without an oven for months its been brilliant.

Ok we did get our new Neff oven and hob fitted just before crimbo and its a revelation ....but will always have the Glass cooker for day to day use.

Oven and Halogen are beyond mums handling of due to Arthur in her hands and fingers so Jude and I got a Combi micro that once she gets used to Mum can micro/Cook/Grill everything she desires from a standard dinner...."we hope" !!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 09:26:12 »
Realised it was the flour, so now I always use Strong Bread Flour and they are always huge

AHHHHHH....(did you hear how the penny dropped then?) ....I see.....that's why sometimes my puds get that big that they barely fit in the oven....!!!! (I make the whole oven tray size puds...A PUD) I never realized why the results vary...I have habit to empty bags to make batter up, 'bit of this and that' style rather than open new one if there is few 'old' packets still open.
And of course sometimes I have emptied strong bread flour bag into batter too....!!! Well, well, well...never too late to learn something new..... :icon_cheers: (how stupid am I.... :drunken_smilie:)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal