Author Topic: A New Spring Green?  (Read 1997 times)

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
A New Spring Green?
« on: December 15, 2014, 23:12:40 »
Following on from Goodlife's Kang Kong water spinach (Ipomoea aquatica) last month. What about this possible tasty green to eat in the spring.

Apparently hosta is edible, used quite a bit in Japanese cooking it seems. :happy7:

https://www.hostasdirect.com/blog/hostas-are-edible/

http://scottishforestgarden.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/hostas/

It looks like it isn't only slugs and snails that find them good to eat. :happy7:

A possible candidate for forcing perhaps like rhubarb or chicory?

I think it is interesting nevertheless although it may end up like dahlia tubers with me in that I know they are edible but haven't got round to trying them yet. :happy7:

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: A New Spring Green?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 10:31:06 »
Ah yes....hosta...

..my brain says they are edible...but when it comes down to it, plants look too good to be true and my brain says 'no' :drunken_smilie: Same with dahlias.. :BangHead: If they would be 'wild plants'...I would not hesitate to trial as much at all?!

Maybe being 'too good looking plant for eating' is something that my brain has learned from mushroom picking...the best looking ones are usually the most 'not so good idea' for eating.. :drunken_smilie:

I'll leave brain training for now...there is plenty of 'spring greens' growing in my garden that I can leave juicy hostas alone....for now... :glasses9:....maybe one day.... :angel11:

If you do have a go....do let us know how they taste...or how you feel afterwards... :tongue3: :happy7:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:33:51 by goodlife »

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 10:53:31 »
called urui in Japanese

serving suggestion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLSyEZv6ZMw

not as she says a lily. but Hosta montana

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 21:22:12 »
Dahlias - interesting, to me Jerusalem artichokes have the appearance, scent and texture of dahlia tubers. I could try them, I'm sure. Both are S American plants, of course, like potatoes.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 23:26:41 »
It is said some dahlia tubers are tastier than others so it could well be a question of trial and error. Thinking more about it since I make big winter stews, including such out of the ordinary ingredients as oca, yacon, squash, black radish, jerusalem artichokes, to name a few, than a few chunks of dahlia might not go amiss especially since by the next day everything just tastes of stew. :happy7:

But I am tempted by the hosta shoots, which may make a change from alternating assorted sprouting brassica shoots with perpetual spinach for spring greens. And yes, goodlife, I will let you know how they taste if I ever get to try them.

The question is what kind do I go for, plain leaved is probably best over variegated foliage but bluer or greener, larger or smaller kinds? Another hurdle is that I don't grow any hostas at present, and while I love collecting rare and unusual named ornamental plants I'm not really a hosta fan. (apart from as a potential food source) :happy7:

There are often hosta plants for sale at car boot sales and the like so could always get some there since I'm not fussed to get a named hosta cultivar.

My idea, should they prove viable , is to grow two large clumps so they can be picked alternate springs, fertilizing each picked clump as you would rhubarb so it recovers. Or perhaps a few shoots from each clump. This would give the best value for flowering and harvest.

Anyway, with all this edible food waiting to be discovered at least we know we shall never go hungry.  :icon_cheers:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 14:42:04 »
I've read that tender Springtime hosta shoots are traditionally used in Greece to make a spinach-pie type thing.

Of course hostas are absolutely notorious for slug damage - though the ones I grow next to my pond escape most of the attacks - I think the frogs assembling for spawning do a grand job.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal