Author Topic: Poblano peppers  (Read 1933 times)

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
Poblano peppers
« on: December 31, 2014, 12:12:30 »
Hi everyone, this is my first post. Has any tried to grow Poblano peppers, I think they are like bell peppers but with a bit of a kick. Any advice would be appreciated.
Paul

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Poblano peppers
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 13:03:27 »
Hello Marlborough; welcome to the forum.

I have never grown Poblano peppers and don't have much luck growing any peppers, but I expect someone on here will have grown them at some time and will give you some advice.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 13:22:33 »
Hi...and welcome!
Yes, Poblano' do look like sweet peppers and can be used same way, but I think 'technically' they are classified as chillies because of the heat and slight spiciness.
I have grown them few times, with varying success...but that apply any crop really..
Generally I like to start chillies little bit earlier than I would do peppers...but poblanos I treat kind of 'in between' those two..=not quite as early as I do chillies and not quite as late as peppers... :drunken_smilie: Though saying that...I do use grow lights for getting plants early start.
They do benefit to get the seeds started from good warmth...propagator would be good...but don't keep them too long in warmth after germination so the seedlings don't get leggy. Prick the seedlings into individual pots..smallish,no more than 3" pots and let them 'fill the pots' before they get planted in permanent position.  Normal multipurpose compost is fine..but be VERY careful with watering...chillies generally don't like to have their compost wet for long periods of time, on just damp side is better and increase the watering as the plants grow bigger and there is more demand.
New compost have enough nutrients to keep young seedlings going for few weeks...after which you have to start thinking of giving them little bit of feed. Something 'general' will do at this stage...BUT..only VERY weak solution is needed as they don't require much and even then doze given after every few waterings. When the plants start branching...and maybe have first buds forming, switch to feed that is for 'fruiting/flowering'...weak solution of tomato feed will do the trick, though chillies and peppers do benefit hugely if you have 'proper' feed for them. It is not essential...but if you do, there is considerable difference to the plants and the crop.
There is several 'chilli/pepper' specific feed on market if you look for some...my personal preference is 'chilli focus'.
Poblano's have been slightly 'shy' crop for me...they don't tend to produce that many..so unless you thinking of just having 'trial' with these...you might need more than one plant to get more of quantity of fruit.
I hope my reply has been any help...it is quite 'generic' info to grow chillies in general...but as far as I know..poblano's don't need any different/specific instructions.
If anybody has any specific instructions...I am interested of them too!! :wave: 

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 11:46:45 »
Hi and Welcome to A4A Marlborough  :wave:

I've grown them a couple of times and although they crop well enough I found more often they didn't have any heat at all, which spoilt it a bit for me. Likely my care and perhaps I watered them too much. Thanks for posting, I'll have to try growing them again  :sunny:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal