Author Topic: Help!=What's happened to my crocus?  (Read 1908 times)

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
Help!=What's happened to my crocus?
« on: January 05, 2015, 17:01:01 »
Came home and decided to have a look round the garden to see how my bulbs were doing. In the half baskets attached to a small wall I found the top of the crocus just lying there! Now, the untouched crocus were only showing about an inch of growth but these other crocus looked as though they had been nipped off just above the corm and signs of holes dug in the soil! What would have caused this to happen?

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Help!=What's happened to my crocus?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 17:36:18 »
Mice. They adore Crocus bulbs, We cannot grow them at all except in the deep gravel of the path round the rock garden.
Gardening is the great leveller.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 15:33:24 »
oh dear! Never been troubled by mice before but then again I have never grown crocus in the half baskets! Where I have planted new  crocus bulbs in the grass ( there are already some there that are naturalised) there is no disturbance at all! Would the be ordinary mice or perhaps field mice? I hope it's the latter!!!!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 18:39:26 »
I have just been to check my pots and troughs of bulbs in tthe greenhouse and every single one has been disturbed by rodents with holes in the compost and bulbs lying on the surface.  Heaven knows what's been eaten and what's just been disturbed or what that'll do to my carefull planned displays but I've repaired what I can and put down loads of sachets of poison.

Being wildlife friendly is one thing but there are some that I don't want in mly garden.
Obxx - Vendée France

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 14:21:39 »
Until Palustris mentioned that mice liked the bulbs of crocus, I hadn't thought to check out the bulbs. Having checked , the bulbs have gone and even more from when I first noticed damage! Thank goodness they don't like the daffodils that are planted with them!

Sorry Obbelix, that your display in the greenhouse seems to have been tampered with.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal