Author Topic: We have roots!!!  (Read 17004 times)

French-Dream

• Half Acre
Re: We have roots!!!
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2015, 13:16:13 »
Hi.
A quick update for those that maybe giving this a try.... :icon_cheers:

The top one was the first one I slipped off....middle one 3/4 days later and the bottom one today. They all seem to be going along fine, the last 3 slips are still on the SP which I'll deal with in a few days time.
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2015, 11:11:38 »
When you have these slips, how deep would you plant them?

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2015, 07:08:23 »
Sorry for time delay Gardenqueen....  not been around for the last week or so....As for planting I'm going to make sure all the roots are covered when I do plant, which I'm going to do the bigger ones today. The tuber in the jar as in fact got another 3 slips growing....only tiny so far but this will give me 9 plants in total.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2015, 10:22:16 »
No problem French Dream. Don't laugh but I had a problem deciding which end of the sweet potato to put in water!  :tongue3: I have obviously got it right as I can see the first signs of some growth!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2015, 12:18:36 »
No problem French Dream. Don't laugh but I had a problem deciding which end of the sweet potato to put in water!  :tongue3: I have obviously got it right as I can see the first signs of some growth!

:icon_cheers: Success!  ...though 'which end of the sweet potato' is not crucial. Mine are lying one their sides on the water and they are sprouting new growths and roots all over the place. If you think of it, 'in nature' they would be underground..surrounded by soil and they would do as they please.

And my update is that I have now first slip just about to be potted on...it was removed from tuber last week and I poked it back into water to for roots...those are now out and about :toothy10: Several other 'sprouts' are getting ready for being separated ..they are couple of inches tall and the leaves have started to green up...sign of getting ready for their independence. Although there is more new shoots emerging form the SP than I need...I'll be only rooting 4...or maybe 6 at most...I haven't even decided where they are going to be planted later on so just few is enough :drunken_smilie:

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2015, 18:16:36 »
IM TRYING THIS BUT SO FAR NO SLIPS HAVE BEEN PRODUCED GOT IT FROM SUPERMARKET AND WASHED IT OFF BUT STILL NOTHING

oops sorry about the caps lock

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2015, 18:17:59 »
I had 8 slips from one of my own sweet potatoes left them in the water until they had routes and then potted them on in route trainers. Unfortunately although the slips were kept in a warm house I have lost all but two of them. I have more slips almost ready on the same potato so I am going to purchase some new compost as I only had last years compost to use on the first lot. I have four other potatoes in water  bought from two different supermarkets and all of them have roots on them. I am hopeful that once the weather warms up and we longer periods of daylight that I have more success as purchasing the slips from various seed suppliers is not cost effective

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2015, 18:48:25 »
IM TRYING THIS BUT SO FAR NO SLIPS HAVE BEEN PRODUCED GOT IT FROM SUPERMARKET AND WASHED IT OFF BUT STILL NOTHING

oops sorry about the caps lock

Are you keeping it warm enough place? If the water, where the potato stands in, feels cold...it will take aaaages to root.
I put the potato in its water container and all into propagator and it only took days to first roots to emerge.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2015, 19:46:52 »
Mine has been standing in water with poly bag over top on the electric propagator for months - still nowt.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2015, 21:47:16 »
I grew Beauregard for a couple of years and then lost them one winter so, inspired by this thread, decided to take the cheaper supermarket option. I started with two Covington tubers, one of which started going bad after a few weeks. There was just one slip on it which was potted up but no sign of movement since. Not sure it was really ready for potting on, but i'm hoping roots are growing. The other tuber has several shoots which I will leave until they outgrow the propagator.  Any idea what varieties people are working with?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2015, 22:31:23 »
I grew Beauregard for a couple of years and then lost them one winter so, inspired by this thread, decided to take the cheaper supermarket option. I started with two Covington tubers, one of which started going bad after a few weeks. There was just one slip on it which was potted up but no sign of movement since. Not sure it was really ready for potting on, but i'm hoping roots are growing. The other tuber has several shoots which I will leave until they outgrow the propagator.  Any idea what varieties people are working with?

Yes, Covington tubers here too :wave:
Found this interesting info about them..https://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/containerplants/sweetpotatoes/covingtonsweet
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 22:33:26 by goodlife »

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2015, 13:55:49 »
As you can see they have good roots..

I've just seen the the SP has got 3 more slips now..

Mine has been standing in water with poly bag over top on the electric propagator for months - still nowt.

Maybe time to think about trying another SP Lottie.. :wave: I must admit we do seem to be getting a very varied rate of success across the members.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2015, 15:10:34 »
trenches dug next week planting 1st earlies
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

pumkinlover

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2015, 08:25:22 »
How are everyone's SP doing.
Mine are well...............I have one plant with potato with loads of roots and another with one tiny shoot!!
Doesn't look too promising as I am posting this several months after everyone else :glasses9:

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2015, 08:47:51 »
well finally ive had 3 goes 2 did absolutely nothing then i covered one with compost and watered it and after what seems like an eternity ive just noticed a slip has popped its head up through the compost cant remember when i started it off

wonder if i have enough time for it to grow and plant out to grow ????  i know they need a long season

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2015, 19:06:22 »
Well. after all the effort I have made to grow slips, I just hope I like Sweet Potatoes!  :BangHead:  I have lots of slips and have just taken most of them off the parent potatoes and put in water to grow roots. Weather is so changeable here in Wales so will keep them on the kitchen windowsill as I have no heating in my greenhouse.
How is everyone else doing?

pumkinlover

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2015, 19:22:45 »
I still have one sweet potato with one shoot and another with a load of roots. Ideas please!!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2015, 19:55:02 »
Mine looks just like the second picture above.  I has more of them, but they have not grown any more for months, and certainly no roots.  Just gnarled pink things.

I think I am going to leave it in the water and if it survives my holiday I shall try potting it up.

Presume it is suffering from the growing inhibitors, what worries me is that I am eating them.  Anyone know what it is I am eating.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal