Author Topic: The planters are out in force  (Read 2519 times)

ACE

• Hectare
The planters are out in force
« on: May 08, 2015, 15:09:51 »
With the night time temps now getting to double figures for the next seven days, all the plotters were out this morning with their pots and trays of plants getting them in the ground. I have now got the beans, peas and leeks in. They are a bit wind burnt around the edge  of the trays after the last few days but all hardened off nicely. I did notice one hardy soul planting tomatoes out. This time next week we would be extremely unlucky down here to see a frost until November now. The squashes and like are getting too big for their pots so Sunday they will also be in the ground. It is perfect planting weather, sunny showers.

I now have room for the aubergines and Chinese lanterns in the greenhouse, I think I will use medium pots with the bottoms cut out, then set into growbags and see how they do.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: The planters are out in force
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 15:34:44 »
Oh the joys of living on the IOW (despite being dented by falling branches in the gales - hope no lasting damage).  Parents-in-law lived just North of Southampton and had courgettes in May, ripe strawberries about now etc etc.  Well, here we also plant out in May, but expect frosts in the first week of June.

fleece at the ready   :BangHead:

PS By the way, no need to worry about peas, they are as hardy as broad beans.  Mine have been out for ages and have started flowering - well one flower opened yesterday  :sunny:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 15:58:07 »
Just being careful with the peas, its been a long time since I grew them. No frosts to worry about  now from about  five weeks ago, but nobody took the gamble. It was threatened a few times which was enough to put people off, especially on the allotments where all you would have got was knowing looks. I bet there was some sneaky planting in the back gardens though.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 16:50:38 »
My peas are out and look ok, but cant compete with birds eye. Baby spinach doing great, just looked up ferry prices for isle of wight, maybe change of plan gazzas new abode sounds good. Off topic l love my tablet now i can use it.a good buy.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 20:03:38 »
I have put some courgettes outside, but they are well tucked up in bottles with soil up to the level of the leaves and straw above that.  I give each courgettes a bottle of water to keep them warm hopefully they will warm up during the day.  I the past they have survived several degrees below like that.  Likewise tomatoes.    And they have strawbales to keep the wind off as well.   

I am worried things might get colder next weekend.  We has quite a frost last week certainly nipped quite a few potatoes and gave the strawberry flowers black eyes.

Just been comparing temperatures our days seem to be warmer but our nights colder.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 20:07:28 by Digeroo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal