Author Topic: Electronic cigarettes.  (Read 8746 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Re: Electronic cigarettes.
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 17:36:39 »
9 months on and I'm still off the ciggies but still hooked on the e-cigs. I am using a weaker nicotine level now in the liquid but it's still probably low-medium. I think the taste is one you get used to - I've tried a few different ones and keep going back to the same. E-cig shops are popping up all over the place here but I still purchase online so I  get the liquid I like. I may try cutting down a bit on the nicotine level but not sure I want to really give up - I enjoy smoking but had just had enough of all the coughing, bad smells etc.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 12:57:32 »
It seems obvious that even with some chemicals (the flavourings etc) and obviously the nicotine, they are a healthier option than ciggies. A few friends have switched to them and do not regret for a minute, even though they keep "smoking" (well, vapurising!). There is almost no smell, and even if one or two still smoke one or two real cigarettes a day they have noticed a big difference in their sense of taste, and with voice clarity, coughing etc which has cleared up.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 14:30:30 »
Why does the word "f*g" get censored?
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 15:13:09 »
Why does the word "f*g" get censored?

American moderation. I suppose because it is a derogatory name for someone who's a bit light on the loafers

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 16:23:58 »

American moderation. I suppose because it is a derogatory name for someone who's a bit light on the loafers

But we're not in America. Last time I looked this was a .co.uk forum.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 22:31:28 »
WWW. might give you a clue.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 10:07:12 »
Nearly a week and don't miss the pipe at all. But I have had a bit of trouble with the flavours. Sorted for the time being but the cigar flavour mixed with a hint of menthol is half reasonable. Chocolate, fruit and nuts are tempting but only in a bar wrapped in silver paper with the cadbury logo printed on the front. :sunny:

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 12:39:05 »
The e-cig shop near here let's you try before you buy. I went back to the stuff I originally got off the net as that's what I'd got used to but it was "interesting" the flavours they had available. I've just started to mix the weak with medium liquid to start weaning off the nicotine.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

tmark938

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2014, 14:13:04 »
I have been using products for a while now and they work for me.

There is a concern within the industry that politicians will try to ban them - or bring them under the same regulations as tobacco products - pure and simply to increase there tobacco tax income. In many ways it is a shame that tax on tobacco products might impact the long term success of electronic cigarettes.

Edit to remove advertising link
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 08:07:58 by Jayb »

tmark938

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2014, 14:15:15 »
I forgot to ask - what do others think of the issue of secondary smoking?

Tests show the risk is minimal compared to tobacco products but would you feel comfortable standing next to someone using an ecig?

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2014, 14:42:35 »
I forgot to ask - what do others think of the issue of secondary smoking?

Tests show the risk is minimal compared to tobacco products but would you feel comfortable standing next to someone using an ecig?

Something I feel very strongly about: its probably irrational, but I would hate to be in, say, a restaurant with any other customers in the act of "smoking".

I've never smoked, because as a youngster it upset me that my Father did. He gave up when he retired, but Lung Cancer killed him 9 years after that.  Numerous of his contemporaries, people for whom I had a lot of respect and who gave me a lot of kindness and encouragement as a youngster, went the same way. I see myself, now, as lucky that I never started because I have never had to face the challenge of giving up and I take my hat off to anyone who has managed to do that.

With a non smoking spouse and inlaws, all of whom suffer from Asthma in varying degrees, we had significant difficulty (e.g. in restaurants) before smoking was banned in public - personally just the smell upsets me now, and having to run the gauntlet of smokers huddled outside a doorway in the street is equally an annoyance for me.  Not their fault, just stupid that the location assigned to them puts them in the direct line of people like me who would prefer to avoid them, and they are usually a group rather than singles so there is more of an issue, for me, than if they were spread about - ironic isn't it?!! - by way of comparison the old days of smoking and non-smoking train carriages suited me just fine, I and they had a choice.

I may be the minority though?  I know next-to-squat about it: are there E-cigs that might be a (real) annoyance / hazard to others? if that is the case, or could become the case, then it seems to me that allowing them in public cannot be condoned, also (perhaps?) if it provides a difficulty for the venue owners / operators being able to deduce who to challenge and who not to have to - seems to me to be a pity E-cigs look like cigarettes, in that regard.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2014, 22:48:32 »
You can poke your "E" fags where the sun don't shine......Nuf said  !!!!!!!!!!! :BangHead:

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2014, 22:57:56 »
You can poke your "E" fags where the sun don't shine......Nuf said  !!!!!!!!!!! :BangHead:
Look Gazza was able to type the word f*g?
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2014, 08:15:24 »
Looks like automatic censorship picks up f*g but not fags. Wonder if it is the same for that portion of butter. Yep, thingy and knobs
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2014, 10:09:51 »
I've seen people with these e-cigs and they do produce a cloud around them but obviously less than standard ciggies.

The problem is that when people smoked freely, the ventilation in public places (pubs, planes etc) was very good but when it got banned, it was seen as an opportunity to cut the cost of this.

So I'm not sure we can go back to smoking in restaurants, and as someone who coughs a lot I hope not.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 14:50:00 »
 :icon_cheers:
Looks like automatic censorship picks up f*g but not fags. Wonder if it is the same for that portion of butter. Yep, thingy and knobs

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2014, 16:38:06 »

As an ex-smoker..................

Don't all you smokers hate it when someone begins a sentence with those words?  :tongue3:

Naah. I smoked for fourty years. Started at ten (I know) when I started a milk round, buying Woodbines in five packs, and No10's, singly, from the tuck-shop opposite the High School. I smoked all through my army days, all through work and sickness. The last twenty years were spent rolling-my-own ciggies. One after another for every waking hour.
I must have smoked a mountain of the stuff.

Then, my first grandchild started to copy my cough like they copy all your behaviour, good or bad.
A coughing grandson was the end-of for me. I was fifty. Nearly eight years ago.

I used nicotine patches, the dummy ciggy thing, beer, any and everything that was available. I stuck, chewed, or sucked on, whatever i could, and I would have used the e-cigs too if they had been as available then as now.

I have no objection whatsoever to sitting next to or near someone saving their own life by using them instead of ciggies.
More power to you folks that are cracking it! You will find, particularly you long-term smokers, that it is the best thing you have done since, well since you started smoking.
You will soon notice you aren't quite so breathless going up the stairs. In fact, it won't be long before you can attack them like you did years ago.
You'll be able to ride a bike again without your out-of-breathness being the limiting factor. You'll be able to feel your muscles react to being afforded more oxygen as you breathe or exert yourself. You might even be able to do 'that' with a bit more of what had become unaccustomed vigour.  :glasses9:
Walking, running, cycling, digging, breathing, breath, teeth, and lifespan, all improved just by saying 'no' to those dirty, yet pleasurable ciggies.  :icon_cheers:

Good luck folks. If I can do it......  :sunny:

"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal