Author Topic: Using debris netting to protect plants - the pros and cons  (Read 4236 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
For several years I have been using green debris netting over hoops to cover my plants (mainly brassicas)as have many people on our allotment. It's easy to put up, particularly in a strong wind,stops all bird damage and supposedly stops butterflies laying eggs-although I have not found this always to be the case!It also gives some degree of wind protection and can create a warm micro environment that  helps to bring things on a bit.
However it is a very tight weave and I think it does block light off. I have had trouble with some plants growing poorly I suspect because of reduced light. Also obviously if you need insects to pollinate your plants you can't use it.
What are other peoples experiences?

lezelle

• Acre
Re: Using debris netting to protect plants - the pros and cons
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 13:31:23 »
Hi Ya, have a look in the BASICS George as there is a post on scaffold netting in there. I use it and it so much easier to use and more robust than a lot of netting. Happy gardening.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 15:03:37 »
I only use it for wind protection and for shading in strong sunlight. Very effective too. I use more specific nets for butterfly and bird protection

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 18:31:38 »
I use it to cover my onions to stop the birds pulling them up I uncovered them about 3 weeks ago but had to put it back at the weekend as the homing pigeons on next doors allotments were pulling the leaves off but I am a great fan I also use it to cover my carrots and parsnips   
Barnsley S Yorks

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 20:50:28 »
try the white one from scaffold direct comes in 3mtr x 50mtr rolls
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 21:36:40 »
Well I have done an experiment! I planted out some cauliflower, cabbage and broccoli and covered it with debris netting, then used separate hoops for my beetroot and spinach. I will let you know what happened!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal