Author Topic: Gone to Bed  (Read 4087 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Gone to Bed
« on: November 18, 2014, 14:42:37 »
Well thats another season more or less over, the beds are dug and mucked, the paths repaired so all that remains to do is to harvest my winter greens as and when I need them.

Thought you might to have a look at my two plots before I go into hibernation for the winter.

Usually I do not return until around April time, when I will prepare the beds that currently have winter greens in.

Plot 19:

Looking up Plot 19

Looking Down Plot 19

Plot 20:

Looking Down Plot 20

Looking Up Plot 20

Looking Across Plot 20

The Fruit Bed

Compost heap ready for the Pumpkins

12'x8' Greenhouse emptied

28'x8' Benched ready for hardening off next years plants

Winter Veg:

Parsnips

Savoys

Swedes, Leeks & Sprouts

Spring Greens

Jap Onions have just surfaced

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Gone to Bed
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 17:46:07 »
Beautiful- something for me to aspire to but never achieve!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 18:48:05 »
As ever, Tee Gee, wonderful pictures, you are a model vegetable grower. Well done, I'll never live up to it but I can keep trying!

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 19:12:23 »
That's a show-class plot if ever I saw one. Mine is a shambles in comparison.

Big Gee

• Half Acre
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is lost forever
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Society
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 19:19:30 »
What a glowing example of what a plot should look like in autumn. You should be proud of yourself Tee Gee!

Wonderful - give yourself a pat on the back! I only wish that half the plots on our site were only half as good as yours!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 22:58:27 »
Wow - that is one of the tidiest plots I've ever seen!

Love the ex-Anderson Shelter compost heap - not quite swords to ploughshares, but close.

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 02:08:39 »
TG you have been busy. My garden would never look like that. I always have something growing in my soil.
I would have 4-5 crops of lettuce in the same ground in a year or even a couple of crops of carrots.
If it isn't something to eat then it is a green manure crop to help the soil or deter bugs.
This is my potato patch which has produced 4 crops in 2 years, plant in August and harvest in December then plant again in January/February for a winter harvest (I am in southern hemisphere).

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 02:09:48 »
This is green manure of wheat and canola in August (with a rocket plant on the rhs).
The canola is to deter nematodes.

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 02:31:41 »
Sorry I can't get good big pics like TG

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 02:35:59 »
A week or so later and it was all slashed down and being covered by a new layer of mulch after potatoes were planted at each dripper point and chook manure added.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 03:32:27 »
Amazing.  Brilliant.  Though not sure that I like bare soil during the winter, worried about the nutrients leaching out.

You have rather inspired me to have a tidy up, though I do still have loads of weeds and green manure.   I like the parsnips in buckets, are they open at the bottom.  Might try some carrots like that.                                                     

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 06:02:37 »
I expect mine is as tidy as it will ever be. Only had it a couple of months and three quarters rough dug so the weather can do its bit. The top quarter has been treated with well rotted and planted with onions, a few spring cabbage and broad beans, plus a bit in hand in case something interesting comes along to plant. So now it can be also put to sleep for what is left of our southern winter, which has not quite started yet. It seems as if it is going to be a wet plot so keeping off of it makes sense.

Next year will be different. I doubt it will be as tidy as it is now, once it starts getting used in earnest. Next job is to get a small greenhouse up at home to get an early start with next years seed after the festive season.

Well done to all the tidy people

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 06:41:54 »
What a glowing example of what a plot should look like in autumn. You should be proud of yourself Tee Gee!
 I only wish that half the plots on our site were only half as good as yours!

That's a show-class plot if ever I saw one. Mine is a shambles in comparison.

WOW....I concur with both....any chance you've got a spare hour or two to pop down to Warwickshire....
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 08:26:48 »
A credit to you sir...........top piccies too.............after you've finished in Warwickshire......carry on darn scarf to Dorset.......I've been laid up with Bronchitus for 3 weeks and my growing area in the garden
Needs some of that yorkshiremans toil before the rains arrive and turn it into a bog.

I'll trade your sweat for a few warming suppers,if I can get my arrse outa bed.

Gazza

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal