Author Topic: Pass the Parcel - We're off  (Read 38783 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Pass the Parcel - We're off
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2014, 14:09:35 »
Code: [Select]
Hope you have a chocolate bar[s] too  [/s]:toothy10:
...I take it you had little typo.....'or two'... :tongue3:

YES...huge mug of tea and TWO chockie bars :icon_cheers:
I've now had two solid hours fun with seeds and 1/3 of the parcel is still to do...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2014, 18:13:56 »
Ok....the clue for the next one....

...Ancient Roman town.. probably with loads of nits too... :tongue3: :icon_cheers:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2014, 21:31:19 »
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2014, 21:32:11 »
Ok....the clue for the next one....

...Ancient Roman town.. probably with loads of nits too... :tongue3: :icon_cheers:

Oooh tricksie  :toothy10:

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2014, 21:41:05 »
Don't want to be rude but would it be Nora?  Not saying any more.

May

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2014, 07:28:38 »
Is there rhyming slang involved?   Barnet - Barnet Fair = Hair?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:33:58 by galina »

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2014, 08:01:26 »
Nora said something about nits on the first page, so sounds right!

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2014, 08:20:13 »
My Great Grandad had his plot in Barnet, funny to think perhaps some seed I added may end up back there a hundred years later!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2014, 08:42:36 »
YES! It is NORA  :icon_cheers: I was wondering her comment about nits so when I looked into it...there used to be nit inspectors in schools called 'nit Nora's'....you learn something new everyday :drunken_smilie: Though that was before my time here in UK.
And there was ancient Roman city with the same name too.

Galina's rhyming slang was clever guess.....something I know little about so could not venture there.. :drunken_smilie:

I have now gone through all the bundles in the parcel...everything is neat tidy and in order for parcel to go its travels again. I shall post it today... :icon_cheers:

May I say....I was really pleased to all different poppy seeds...even if some were originally mine  :icon_cheers: I used those long ago and it was good to get some more :icon_cheers: I've made poppy seed medley and I will walk around allotment site and my plots with 'leaky bag'...'accidentally' sowing some here and there...OH it will be pretty!! :icon_cheers: :evil6:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2014, 08:57:01 »

Oh good.  Didn't know about Nit Nora's either, but also remembered Nora's mention of nits and tried to make that fit - somehow.......................

Yes, the poppy seeds in the parcel were amazing and so many too.  As it happens we went to see the poppies at the tower of London at the time I got the parcel.  Trip got delayed, should have been earlier .... long story.  And they were already well into the process of taking all the ceramic poppies away when we got there.  Quite sad but still an impressive sight.  For a brief moment I thought, what if somebody sowed poppy seeds to have them growing there forever, to make it a remembrance site for years to come?

Enjoy the parcel Nora, it is quite something.   :wave:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2014, 09:02:56 »
Why did the nit inspections always fall on the days when your mum had made you a perfect French plait?

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2014, 09:03:31 »
There can't be many more people left now!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2014, 09:06:55 »
.................... she said waiting patiently ...................... (or not)  :tongue3:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2014, 09:43:34 »

Code: [Select]
what if somebody sowed poppy seeds to have them growing there forever, to make it a remembrance site for years to come?

Yes it would be good idea..though maybe as poppy beds as the soil would have to be quite bare rest of the time and it would not look that attractive.
Our local council did had poppy theme going on this year..in spring they scraped turf off on same areas for new flower beds...sowed some flower mixtures with of poppy seeds in...and this summer those beds were full of them..delicate little poppies  :icon_cheers:
It was nice change from the usual bedding theme and I'm sure bees and birds enjoyed the nectar and seeds too :icon_cheers:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2014, 09:47:59 »
It won't be long now...when you eventually get the 'whopper', you might get to regret your eagerness..it will take some effort going through the lot... :evil6: :icon_cheers:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2014, 10:09:18 »

No, not many to go, might get to you before Christmas or maybe not!  :toothy10: I'd never be able to decide who goes where, much easier to draw from the hat! Sounding like those towards the end get top picks though, after everyone has been adding there seeds in   :icon_cheers:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2014, 10:12:17 »
I did wonder at the 'nit' reference!

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2014, 11:56:31 »
Gosh is it me next I am so excited? ...... let me explain the Nora bit I'm not "nit" or "nitty nora" the school inspecter but Knitty Nora the knitter which is admittedly a bad play on words - I have a BA Honours in Knitwear Design and spent 15 years working in the rag trade before having my children, who have over the years got nits you want to try getting the little blighters out of hair like this...

also as I work in the school garden would anyone mind me selecting a few of the more unusual seeds for them to grow?

So I'm waiting with baited breath .....
Nora
Norf London

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2014, 12:06:53 »
 :icon_cheers: :laughing7:....ahh...Knit... :laughing7: If I would have known about knit connection....well, I'm knitter and can talk about yarn and wool to your boredom.. :toothy10: But you did mention in your original post 'nits'...was it typo? :laughing7:

I think it is safe to say....at least from my behalf....It is totally up to you what you select and where they are grown. I think it is good idea for kids to see something different growing as well.. :icon_thumleft:

I'm just waiting my car back...and them I'm off to post the parcel for you....VERY soon.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:08:53 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2014, 14:26:01 »
Ok...parcel posted...AND this is how it went..

-hi, I've got parcel to post..
-what is in it?
-seeds...
'she is now raising her eye brows and looking at me funny way.....'
-lets weigh it....1.9kg...it is £9 and 'something'..
-WHAT!....NO IT ISN'T....it is small box, under 2kg and it doesn't cost more than £3.90
-Yes it would be if it would be 'small'..it is too big..'placing empty display 'small' box over the parcel'...see it doesn't fit!
(there is 1cm gap on between table and top box... :BangHead:) There is bulge on the box that sorting office won't like..and that puts it in next size category...

-OH just give it a little poke...it is only a little crease on the cardboard..there is no 'bulge' behind it...just air....'I'm starting to loose my cool now....'
-Yes, I can see what you mean...'poking the box'....'putting the other box over it again'...
-See it fits now! ...and by the time it has been waiting pick up and with 'ton' of other parcels top of it..it will be even less bulged..
I could hear her mumbling behind the counter to herself....'I still don't like that bulge'...

-...and I need tracking number for that parcel too..and my instructions for posting says 'second class'..(I bet she was getting really fed up with me now....  :evil6:)
-No... we DON'T do 2nd class with small parcels...but the price is what you wanted...AND there is NO tracking number on these neither....
-WELL....funny how other people with this same parcel have had their tracking numbers... :BangHead:
-there is 'barcode' on the receipt...that can be used for tracking this parcel....
- :BangHead: That will do then....

WHY IS IT so bloody difficult with some numpties in post office.... :BangHead:

Jayb....'tracking number' barcode is pm'ed to you shortly... :tongue3:

SO....what do we learn from all this....stick to you 'guns'...customer is always right!!!!  Make sure there is no substance behind the bulge..just air.. :icon_cheers: And read the receipt...mine says...'signed for, 2nd!!!!!!, small parcel'  :icon_cheers: :glasses9:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal