Author Topic: Pass the Parcel - We're off  (Read 38769 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Pass the Parcel - We're off
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2014, 14:46:30 »
Bad postie person

:icon_cheers:  well done for persevering and keeping your cool. Wonder how many people they rip off in a day! Just as well you knew they do 2nd class small parcels!

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2014, 14:59:46 »
I know just what you mean.  Yes, I had to ask too.  The barcode is what you want for tracking number.  That's fine.

I was lucky, that I had the casual Christmas employee lad.  He put it in the box, the cellotaped side was about a mm higher, he just gently pushed it down and said, yes, that fits.  But if I had got the regular postie, I would have had the same.

Usual question about what is in the box but somehow I almost felt that I had got away with it!  They DO know how to make you feel bad.

Glad it has gone off to Nora ok (and I bet she is too).  I started by carefully removing old cellotape with tweezers and I think that almost everybody has to do this too. 

Now - BREATHE !  and  :coffee2: - then   :sunny: 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 15:03:20 by galina »

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2014, 18:32:38 »
Good that you stuck to your guns Goodlife.  I would have just paid up and slunk home muttering to myself.  Also glad that I haven't upset anyone.  I have been very worried over my comments.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2014, 19:00:43 »

Also glad that I haven't upset anyone.  I have been very worried over my comments.

???? :icon_scratch: I haven't noticed anything to get upset about... :dontknow: You are ok.... :thumbsup:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2014, 20:50:57 »
A nit is a louse egg, and a nit nora was the nurse who went round schools checking who'd got them.

pumkinlover

« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2014, 21:20:37 »
This thread is soo funny.
Lottie I am sure that you have not upset any one.
Nora your children are so lovely :happy7:
There are a few knitters on here but definitely no qualifications like yours it sounds interesting :happy7:

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2014, 22:38:48 »
Hi everybody this thread is funny and I am not offended by anyone especially not Lottie Lou  - I think having a qualification in knitting does that for you so many people think knitting is an old fashioned and a dull past time which it is not and never has been in my humble opinion. I have been at posh parties when in my younger years and some old leachy horse and hound bloke asked me what I was reading at university and when I said knitwear design his eyes glazed over and he left me standing there, or the young drunk lawyer who cited my qualification as a waste of space time and money he changed his mind after I told him how much I was earning in year and how far around the world I had been. I have stood in factories in Korea only to realise that they wouldn't work with me because I was a woman got around that one because I was born in 1967 year of the Horse and a fire horse at that which according to my tormentors is "worse possible sign for woman"

thanks for the compliment on my babies  Pumpkinlover they're angels to look at but in reality just normal children not perfect or outstanding - just the way I like them.
And Goodlife your post office tale is nothing new we have an old dragon in our post office who takes exception at about 99% of parcels it's worth complaining about them on the post office site last time I did I got a free packet of stamps.
Nora
Norf London

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2014, 22:59:10 »
Knitter here too, although since I taught myself to crochet I've been mostly hooking rather than needling. ;)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2014, 01:43:51 »
I laughed when I read Goodlife's problems with the lady in the post office.  It brought back memories of my husband's experiences in post offices 20-30 years ago. 

He worked as a Civil Servant and often had to use his car for business.  He claimed his mileage and was given giros for his expenses.  These could be cashed at any post office in the UK.  One day, he collected his giro from work and the following day we went up to the Yorkshire Dales on holiday.  We were staying in Wensleydale so he went into Hawes Post Office to cash his giro.  The woman behind the counter refused to cash it as it didn't have a designated post office on it.   :angry5:    My husband said that it didn't need one and she argued that it did.  He then said that he was not leaving until she cashed it.  She was assuming that he was a benefit claimant and was talking down to him with quite a nasty tone.   A queue was now beginning to form behind him.  My irate husband explained to her that it was his money..... money that was owed to him for travelling about on Government business..... money that he had already spent on petrol.  At this stage the post mistress got stroppy and threatened to ring the "fraud office".  My husband's reply was "please do".  She disappeared for about 5 minutes and came back and very quietly, gave him his money.   :icon_cheers:

The same thing happened when we lived in Scotland and he took his giro into a post office on Mull.  After almost half an hour of arguing, the post mistress still refused to cash it.  He couldn't do anything about it though or we would have missed the ferry.  He cashed it the next day in Oban. 

When we moved back south, he had problems trying to cash another giro.  The post master said that he would have to take it to his local post office to cash.  This was at his local post office!   

Expenses were normally paid a few weeks in arrears and that was bad enough, but to have all this palaver at the post offices, was really the last straw. Eventually, expenses were paid directly into employee's bank accounts rather than being given giros. 

We can laugh and joke about these experiences now, but at the time they were really frustrating.    :BangHead:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2014, 09:40:07 »
Knitter here too, although since I taught myself to crochet I've been mostly hooking rather than needling. ;)

Oh you are hooker as well.... me too... :icon_cheers:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2014, 09:49:01 »
I laughed when I read Goodlife's problems with the lady in the post office.

I'm glad I could provide some 'entertainment'...though you should have been there on person..what I wrote was 'highly edited' version of it all. Once I get over certain 'Meldrew limit'...something happens inside me and I stop caring for trying to be 'nice'..and I just 'plough into' the cause of aggro..it is not me who will be blushing.. :glasses9: Being shy doesn't achieve any results... :angel11:

Looks like some postie people behind the counter have always had bit of attitude problem then and sound of all your replies..it is not in decline neither. Though there was something in news/some program last night how some computer program they use in post network has made some errors causing money losses in 'paper work'..and post masters are liable for any losses that show in their papers...so some have lost everything they ever had and been prosecuted for those errors. And post is not budging and giving any details for government for investigation of the liability.
When I hear all that...it almost softened my heart...almost!
I'm calm again...but WILL most definitely carry on checking prices online before hand...and maybe start buying the postage online more often too....though one still have to take the parcel to the post office..
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:58:19 by goodlife »

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2014, 18:00:33 »

Oh you are hooker as well.... me too... :icon_cheers:

So do I and knit and used to do machine knitting as well.  Just finished a baby kimono top in crochet for a friend's grandson and just started a knitted all in one suit for my new grandson due in a couple of days time.  Luckily its in thick wool.  Thinking of getting my machine down from loft as well and having another bash at that - well will have to do something with my time once I finally retire. 

Any ideas where I can get a pattern for a double knit man's jumper - have about 20 balls of double knit wool for years.

May

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2014, 11:13:42 »
Hi Lottie
 why not search http://www.ravelry.com free patterns on this knitting community. careful it's addictive.
Nora

no sign of the parcel yet today.........
Norf London

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2014, 11:34:28 »
Hi Lottie
 why not search http://www.ravelry.com free patterns on this knitting community. careful it's addictive.
Nora

no sign of the parcel yet today.........
Thank you Nora.  I found what I was looking for a couple of days ago (matching berets to the scarves I made last year for daughter and soon daughter-in-law) and I didn't even come across the site you mentioned.  Good to have that , nice site.

Hope you get the parcel soon.  An extra day delay is inevitable at this time of year unfortunately.  And postie does now come later and later every day too.   :wave: 

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2014, 18:33:09 »
I know this is off topic but do you have any piccies of your designs Nora?  Would love to see them.  The range of talents that people on here have is phenominal.

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2014, 20:23:34 »
Hello fellow swappers the parcel arrived today and I spent an afternoon going through it and picking and adding some seeds. what a fantastic selection to choose from - I have never seen so many varieties of tomato..............

I think I can make it to the post office on Monday and get it to the next person  :blob7: if Jayb would let me know who that it.

thanks Nora.
Norf London

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2014, 21:49:03 »
Yayyy  :icon_cheers:
Quick work Nora   :glasses9:

Pm sent

Many of those tomato varieties are ones previously shared by A4A members in swaps and seed circles as well as some of the varieties I have spare. They are a lovely collection for anyone looking for different or not so easy to find varieties. But the tip of the iceberg really as I am still holding a collection of shared varieties here from lots of different members. Jeannine sent a huge amount of varieties a couple of years ago and Ruud always generously shares and has different and unusual varieties. We did a virtual tomato parcel but if there is interest we could do a Tomato swap in the spring?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

pumkinlover

« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2014, 22:27:27 »
 Me thinks that you is a swopaholic jayb :tongue3:

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2014, 22:55:22 »
Jayb are you secreting managing 6 acres of veggie cultivation??? :)

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2014, 08:49:32 »
Jayb it is a lovely idea to do i tomatoswap in the spring.Maybe a tomato and pepperswap.If you do a swap i have a lot of seeds to offer.I am in an american round robin expecting a hugh parcel soon.Everbody a wonderfull christmas time and a happy new year. :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal