Author Topic: Anyone to Share their Sourdough Starter with me please?  (Read 30965 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Anyone to Share their Sourdough Starter with me please?
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2012, 22:07:08 »
That's helpful, thanks. The Herman instructions are so definite about not going in the fridge, but I imagine the sweet starter is very like the sourdough starter, tough as old boots and not very fussy about what happens to it in spite of the ten day routine insisted on.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2012, 14:59:49 »
My second sourdough using my original starter...... This one is a bit taller and tastes much better!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2012, 15:09:05 »
Ohh...look at that!..what a beauty..its shame to cut it.. ::) ;D

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2012, 15:21:38 »
 ;) ;D

Duke

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2012, 15:26:12 »
So...what did you do differently this time to get it to rise higher rather than spreading?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2012, 16:18:39 »
Wow - thats a keeper!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2012, 18:42:42 »
This time the dough was a bit firmer than the first one. When I cut into it the air holes were much smaller but plentiful. I am really enjoying this whole process ....thanks Goodlife :)
Barridale Nick I might even invest in that dome you recommended.

Duke

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2012, 21:44:53 »
This thread has inspired me to make my own sourdough starter.  It has already started to work - only five days and it's bubbling well.  I'll use half with the ciabatta flour this weekend and hopefully will have my first proper sourdough loaf in a couple more days.  ;D

Alison

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2012, 13:16:27 »
Just knocking one up today and I hope I get a rise like the pic.  Just started feeding my starter with spelt flour and it seems to love it - so I have introduced a 20-80 mix of spelt and strong bread flour for todays loaf just to see if there is much a taste difference.

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2012, 15:54:52 »
I've got one in the airing cupboard right now, on its second rise.
Its not quite 50/50 but did it 200g wholemeal and 300g strong white with a couple of table spoons of the starter. I am now keeping the starter in the fridge and just giving it 2 feeds a week. I took it out yest, fed it again and used it this morning.
I got it in my cake tin to keep shape but I also started to make an apple cake, which now I can't finish until my bread is cooked!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2016, 18:52:01 »
Our village baker has been promoting a sour dough fortnight which prompts me to revive this interesting thread. Goodlife's advice was prominent and helpful. Is anyone still making it? I gave it up 4 years ago but am prompted to start again by the delicious taste, texture and crust of our baker's loaves.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2016, 13:31:37 »
It's delicious, isn't it?  I must admit to using a breadmaker for yeasted loaves in order to top up the supply, and for fruit bread for the grandchildren, but we regularly do a 10 or 12 loaf batch of white/rye sourdough and store them in the freezer.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2016, 10:34:04 »
Odd I was sure I posted here yesterday!  Anyway I do still make a sourdough every now and then.  I find the starter keeps in the fridge for weeks - I just get it out on a Wed morning to feed up and revitalise for Friday to make a loaf and then pop it back in the fridge again..
Now you have got me thinking I may make one at the weekend...

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2016, 20:48:14 »
I make a loaf every week, starting on Friday morning and baking on a Sunday night.. Such a simple thing to do and gives me sandwiches on Monday and toast for the rest of the week. A real pleasure!

So here's one from last month.

OC

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2016, 21:00:54 »
BarriedaleNick,   if you have a starter and don't want to bake for a while, you can freeze the starter and reconstitute.  Have done this several times. 

I have seen dry sourdough starters in sachets, which means you can also dry, grind up and eventually reconstitute a starter (but haven't done this myself). 

Looking good Old Central  :sunny:
:wave:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 21:04:36 by galina »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #135 on: May 04, 2016, 20:39:10 »
Galina is right, Sometimes I don't use mine but I keep feeding it and when it gets a bit big, I freeze it. I do keep it in the fridge if I am not baking much but it wakes up when I bring it out.  Mine is pretty old now, occasionally it gets a bit weary and is a bit slow to respond but you can cheat a wee bit and give it a few granules of yeast to perk it up is you really find it needs it, I find the kitchen warmth is enough though.

You can get them freeze dried. I often see San Francisco ones for sale here which makes me laugh because of course it will naturalize to the wild yeasts in your area so it is not San Francisco for very long but it is a start.

It gives me a sort of good feeling making sour dough, I guess if I had been born a hundre years before I would have been making it in a covered wagon, probably while I turned the butter paddle with my foot. LOL
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal