Author Topic: Ideas for using Babington Leek, Wild Garlic and Alexanders  (Read 2679 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Hi folks
Do any of you have tried and tested recipes for the above?
Jackie

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Ideas for using Babington Leek, Wild Garlic and Alexanders
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 09:57:15 »
Use Babington leek like real leek, use the bulbs (after they have split, after the plant has flowered) like garlic or like onion/shallot, use the young bulbils (which don't have a hard skin yet) in the garlic crusher like you would a peeled garlic clove.  All parts of Babington leek are useable.  This time of year I use them like leek, later in summer

Wild garlic is great to use in spring - chopped leaves in cottage cheese, as a garnish over food just before serving, a classic one is in an omelette.  There is a pictorial recipe from Gazza1960 using wild garlic, which is fab  :sunny:
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,79100.msg800624.html#msg800624
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,79111.msg800653.html#msg800653

Don't know about Alexanders.   :wave:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:02:06 by galina »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 11:25:52 »
sorry brain fade.  Should have said

.... later in summer/autumn, after flowering use the bulbils and lastly the bulb.  When you dig out the bulbs, there are smaller bulblets hanging off the bulb.  These vary in number, they are encased with a light brown, hard skin with a sharp point.  Leave these and they will eventually grow a new Babington leek.  Elephant garlic have similar bulblets, which can be used to grow more elephant garlics.  They sprout quite slowly, sometimes take two years to sprout.  I took some bulblets out last year and put them in a pot.  Only one has sprouted, the others are biding their time. 

As Babington leek is a permanent bed plant and not part of a rotation, these can just stay in the soil.  I tried to rotate my Babington leeks and ended up with 3 spots in the garden where they come up as they like. 

Even if you think they have all been dug up, it is very likely that they will sprout up again, which fits with your story of livestock trampling and eating the lot and still, Babington leek found a way to resprout, either from the bulbs or from the bulblets that are hanging off the bulbs.   :wave:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 17:41:50 »
Wild garlic makes great pesto for dips or pasta or stuffing a chicken breast before you bake it and is good in quiches.
Obxx - Vendée France

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 21:25:01 »
Thanks so much. It must be a tough wee plant to survive. (Horse invader had a go at accessing alexanders today.)

I hadn't realised Babbintons were so versatile. I've saved recipe for wild garlic. I make my own yoghurt soft cheese, so will add it to that.

Obelixx, do you have a favourite pesto recipe? I planted wild garlic a few years ago and it's establishing well. One of my favourite smells of Spring is wild garlic in the local woods
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal