Author Topic: First proper frost  (Read 2122 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
First proper frost
« on: November 06, 2014, 09:48:04 »
On November 6th - who'd 'a thunk it?

We did have an air frost a month or so back that did for the squashes and cucurbits, but nothing even near since. I don't recall an autumn like it.

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: First proper frost
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 10:23:51 »
On November 6th - who'd 'a thunk it?

We did have an air frost a month or so back that did for the squashes and cucurbits, but nothing even near since. I don't recall an autumn like it.

Adrian

Same here.  Well there was one autumn still in the old century when I was picking the last beans in December.  Outdoors, in a sheltered place and the variety was Oregon Giant.  Usually it is the full moon in October that coincides with the first frost.  We got a month's grace this year, as you say apart from a slight brush, which did for the cucurbits (they can't really have any lower than about 3C).

I am sorry it is all over, apart from the frost hardy crops, but wouldn't it be great to have autumns like this every year?

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 15:05:58 »
It was extremely cold here last night.  I still have water timers on my taps and OH has said that two of them have sprung leaks overnight. 

I am very pleased I dug up all my pelargoniums, fuscias and a few other bedding plants a couple of days ago.  I replanted them into smaller pots in the greenhouse.   I have 3 courgette plants in pots which I moved in there a few weeks back.  There are fruit and flowers on them but courgettes are very small and not getting any bigger.  The greenhouse is unheated but I haven't been up there today to see if any of the newly potted plants have been damaged by the frost.  I have some fleece but didn't think of putting it over the plants yesterday as I didn't know it was going to be so cold.    :BangHead:

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 18:58:03 »
Frost forecast, so draped sweet potatoes and eddoes and courgettes in protective netting, but in spite of low temperatures, nothing died.....yellow courgettes still struggling on. This is November!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal