Author Topic: It's a GREAT feeling.  (Read 1895 times)

French-Dream

• Half Acre
It's a GREAT feeling.
« on: November 04, 2014, 03:32:02 »
We've only had our lottie for a couple of years, but back at the start of 2014 the chairman stopped me and asked if I would be interested in putting my name forward for the role of "letting secretary" as the then secretary was standing down after 9 years doing the job. The reason he asked was we both got stuck in and helped at our open day, and he thought I was a prime candidate.
My reply was, as we were the new kids on the block,  if no one else wanted the job I would be delighted and happy to fill the roll.  When the AGM was held back in Feb the time came for the election of the officers, and to cut a long story, I was nominated and voted into the job.

Now the point of this thread, IT'S A GREAT JOB... :icon_thumright:

When the time comes to phone a total stranger and tell them that there's a plot with their name on it, and it's theirs if they still want one, is GREAT,  the sounds down at the other end of the phone is worth every minute. This year so far I've had the pleasure on 10 occasions.

If you guys & gals ever get the opportunity to take on a committee role and help out with the running of an allotment site go for it.
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: It's a GREAT feeling.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 07:32:58 »
Well I admire your enthusiasm and happy that you take pleasure in your role but it isn't always sunshine and rainbows! 
I was secretary for about 8 years but jacked it in last year - I may take up a role again if I am asked but I would have to think twice about it.  There are some really unpleasant people out there who seem to enjoy making other people's lives a misery with ridiculous complaints, constant moaning and arguing and generally denigrating anyone on the committee.  I got so fed up with the people who never turned up to site days and then complained about the state of the site.  Our lettings sec has been shouted at when out shopping, we have been threatened with legal action when we tried to evict someone who never did anything on their plot, I have had stand up rows with people who seem to think we have loads of money, called all sorts of names when we issued warning letters and constantly getting stopped on my plot by people moaning about the most trivial of things.

Of course this was tempered by the great people who always turn up to site days, the endless lovely chats about anything, great banter with my mates and the seemingly endless generosity of my neighbours but it was a huge relief when I stood down as I realised noneof that came from being on the committee 
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 08:27:50 »
French-Dream.....I'm so pleased to hear how happy you are with the position...and long may that feeling continue.. :icon_cheers: :icon_thumleft:

BUT...just like Nick has mentioned...I've experienced the 'not so rosy side' and quite frequently too :BangHead: I'm not secretary, but treasurer, though our roles are some what 'blurred' as we (secretary and me) we kind of do each other roles too, run things to some extend together. But, one just have to accept that moaners are everywhere, even on allotments....part of human nature (sadly) and it does spoil good things from many of us.
I think part of my lack of gardening mojo can be contributed to some hassle we had on our site this summer... :BangHead: :sad1:

It is good thing if there is some enthusiastic new 'feet' to fill the old boots...sometimes it is absolutely necessary for allotments well being...and you truly sound like you are happy to jump in and fill the boots perfectly.

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 12:15:09 »
Cheers both...

I've had the unpleasant job of writing to three members about their plots,  in our agreement that they signed you must show some work has been carried out over a three months period.   :evil5: I first phone them to see if they have a problem, family, illness, whatever, if not I ask what are their intentions for the plot. At the next committee meeting I then inform them of any feedback from the member,  at this point a letter is sent to them that clearly states they have one calender month to start work or their membership will be terminated.

Out of the three I've had to sort out, all of them have seen that's it's for the better all round to stand down and let someone else take on the plot. As for being  threatened with legal action  :icon_scratch: if it gets to that point then that would be it for me. We have just over 100 members and in the 3 years we've been on there we've not seen any trouble......hope it stays that way... :icon_thumright:
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal