Author Topic: Acid soil for Strawberries?  (Read 1884 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Acid soil for Strawberries?
« on: November 08, 2014, 08:08:17 »
I have read that Strawberries like acid soil.  Not much chance around here, does anyone have any good ideas for increasing acidity but not upsetting the strawberries.  What so you think about coffee grounds.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Acid soil for Strawberries?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 11:52:19 »
Hmmm...perhaps not so much liking 'acid soil' as more of 'preferring soil being on the acid side from the neutral'....they will still perform even if the soil is slightly alkaline too.
I would think of coffee grounds as much as tea being more of soil conditioner that will help to keep soil acidity rather than able to change the soil ph....unless you get it in huge quantities, but then you would not able to grow much in it until it rots down.
If your soil is very alkaline...I would look into first improving it to more of strawberries liking and then thinking of 'how to keep it in that condition'.
Perhaps buying in few bags of 'lime free topsoil' to give 'body' and mixing in some peat and/or peat substitute for humus that strawberries will readily deplete from the soil while they occupy the space. Then mulching the strawberry bed with coffee/tea ground as and when you have some available. Chopped up bracken (composted or fresh) will work wonders too...you can use fresh as substitute for straw and it will all eventually rot down and helping to keep acidity up and provide humus too :icon_cheers:
You are not really looking to create true ericaceous conditions. If raspberries do in your soil...strawberries should do too without going to  any extra hassle :icon_thumleft:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 13:40:51 »
I have used the shreddings from my Christmas tree to mulch strawberries in the past and it works very well. The needles take about two years to compost completely, and act as a good barrier to slugs and keep the fruit clean. I plan to do the same thing this year with my new strawberry beds.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 07:12:13 »
I have added recycled compost as a mulch and they do seem to like that, though I think it is fairly high in calcium as well.  Though if I time it right it should be full of ex Christmas tree.

Bracken is a problem because it only grows on acid soil and so getting hold of it is not easy.  I  do know of only one tiny area in a 50 mile radius where it does grow, but not sure I can attack it. 

Slightly alkaline?  There is not much of that going on around here.  Our water is so alkaline you can almost stand a spoon up in it.   

Raspberries do not do well.  Some varieties tolerate it, the autumn ones seem to be happier.  I only water them with water from the roof so it is rather limited.

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 08:50:00 »
I found this about helping acid loving plants...not sure if it's what your after but here goes.  :dontknow:

"Acidifying fertilizers can also be used to help raise acidity levels. Look for fertilizer containing ammonium nitrate, ammonium sulfate, or sulfur-coated urea. Both ammonium sulfate and sulfur-coated urea are good choices for making soil acidic, especially with azaleas. However, ammonium sulfate is strong and can easily burn plants if not used carefully. For this reason, you should always read and follow label instructions carefully."
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal