Author Topic: wire worm  (Read 2370 times)

BAGGY

• Hectare
wire worm
« on: March 20, 2005, 22:50:34 »
Just read the link about unidentified bugs and realised that that the little yellow wormy things where we planted our spuds at the weekend are wire worms.  Does this mean we are on a hiding to nowhere or will i just get a few tatties munched?  I noticed about 6 of them in a 12 foot row.  Am I panicking unnecessarily ????
Get with the beat Baggy

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: wire worm
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 12:05:50 »
If you're sure they're wire worms...well, wire wirms do go for spuds so you're almost certain to have some damage. Seeing as how you've already planted, the best thing you can do is lift the spuds as soon as they're ready, don't leave them in the ground any longer than you need to.
Wire worms only make holes, they don't hollow out the tubers so although you might find yourself cutting out some damage, the rest of the spud is still useable.
Last year I brought n a new area into use and wire worm can be a problem on new ground for a couple of years or so. Best method is probably to treat the ground at planting time (pick your poison). I grew mustard and dug it in after lifting my spuds. I've put onions in that same ground this year. (Mustard is a brassica so shouldn't be followed with the cabbage family).
I saw no sign of wire worm as I prepared the onion bed so maybe the mustard worked?

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 18:49:27 »
Just a guess - if they are wireworm, I'd guess they're pretty near maturity and ready to fly off (to find some grassland to lay the next lot of eggs)?  No harm done?

AFIK, the main damage they do to potatoes is later on (in June/July) - but what you could do is stick potatoes cut in half into the soil.  Check them regulalry - and if they have lots of wireworm, offer to the nearest robin?

All best - Gavin

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 17:44:55 »
Thanks Gavin - I'll give it a go
Bags
Get with the beat Baggy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal