Author Topic: This page cannot be displayed  (Read 2573 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
This page cannot be displayed
« on: October 12, 2014, 09:57:07 »
I seem to be getting this message more and more and more.  It cannot find A4A but now seems to not be able to find google or anything else.  We sometimes have hours without any internet and it is getting worse.

Seems ok over 3 mobile but I do not want to use up my allowance at home.

Sometimes Chrome works better but I do not like it.

BT are not very helpful.  Got someone who barely spoke English who just said I needed to reboot my home hub.  What sort of idiot do they think I am?  The home hub is fine.  Rebooting the home hub does not solve the problem. 

Then got someone else who said it was my laptop.  But my husbands laptop and my phone via the homehub are not any better.   

I am getting very fed up with it.

Please does anyone know what is going wrong?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: This page cannot be displayed
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 10:00:54 »
I am actually concerned it has been planted by antivirus software to make me pay for an update.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 10:21:21 »
That isn't very likely - if they wanted your business then they would be popping up fake virus messages.

There are so many reasons why you get a 404 page not found message that it is hard to know where to begin but if it is happening across multiple devices connected to the homehub/router then it sounds like a line fault or router issue.  It certainly means that the issue lies north of laptop.

IMHO this is a BT issue.  It could be fault wiring, a faulty router, dodgy socket, something at the exchange or at the ISP level.  Whatever - your responsibility stops before the router.  You should get back on to BT and be very firm (but polite!!) in wanting tests run.  Intermittent faults are always the hardest to fix - is there any pattern to this? If you get a fault on one site, can you still access another site?

I would unplug all the cables and reseat them, reboot the router and try again.  Then get on to BT and ask for a refund - that normally gets their attention.  There are a few techy type tests I would do but you pay BT for support so make sure you get it.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 09:05:21 »
We moved house recently, and there's no fibreoptic service here.
All the neighbours smiled wisely and told us, you won't get internet properly here, you can't get a mobile phone signal, this is the countryside etc etc. After years with Virgin (fibreoptic, pretty good) we had to go with another provider and chose talktalk, mainly on price.

For many months we suffered erratic connection - you'd either not be able to connect at all, or the internet would cut in and out, it was very frustrating, couldn't even do banking  :BangHead:
The call centre was manned by folk that didn't appear to speak English very well.
Finally, we got on the phone several times in one day, just kept being persistent - persistent but not angry or abusive. We were being charged for the call and stated very clearly that we were very very SAD and UNHAPPY and DISAPPOINTED, and could they call us back, which they did. We followed up at least twice daily on what they told us was going to happen, and always asked them to call us back to continue the conversation.
They sent more equipment for us to renew in our house - still no improvement. Did that again, ditto.
They sent an engineer to renew the wiring inside our house from the computer to the point where it comes into the house. The engineer was great, he confirmed we weren't doing anything wrong, and advised us to follow up, follow up, follow up. All the lines are owned by BT, the talktalk folk have to get BT to do the work.
We did follow up. Within a week, the BT people were renewing the cables from our house to the telegraph pole, and all the cables along the road from telegraph pole to pole. It must have cost a fortune.
Immediately they'd finished we had proper internet with no cutouts and found suddenly that our TV package had improved dramatically, (we hadn't even realised we weren't getting what we should get). So it was pretty obvious that the problem was the lines in the road.
This all took about 3 months from start to finish. It is worth while persisting, and writing down what they tell you and dating it, then you can tell them what they said to you last time.

Good luck

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal