Author Topic: Halogen 2lb Loaf Split Tin  (Read 8324 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Halogen 2lb Loaf Split Tin
« on: October 15, 2014, 18:14:38 »
Following the smaller tins I decided to knock up the 2lber Tin that was asked about..........

Exactly the same recipe,but just plain Brown and White Flour without the additional herbs.

Prove and knock back then add dough to your 2lb loaf tin.

Prove in halogen oven till dough rises just below lip about 10 mins ive found and score loaf through middle..if you wish

set heat to 220 degrees for 15 mins..........then reset heat setting to 200 degrees for remaining 20 minutes......

I put the tin on the bottom rack to cook through.

Once cooked place on a rack,you can see its browned all over......

Once cooled,cut through to see a nice dense but soft texture with a crisp crust.

The girls fav is the 50/50 Brown and White....nice for sarnies...and even better for dunking in soup.!!!!!

Gazza

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Re: Halogen 2lb Loaf Split Tin
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 21:00:15 »
That looks good.

I must get round to using my halogen oven. I've had it nearly a year and not used it yet.

Do any of you  use a bread maker to start you bread making and then finish it off by hand?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 08:52:49 »
That looks good.

I must get round to using my halogen oven. I've had it nearly a year and not used it yet.

Do any of you  use a bread maker to start you bread making and then finish it off by hand?

Yorkshire Lass,  Yes, this is my favourite way of making dinner rolls.  The bread maker does the kneading and initial rising, then I make pretty shapes (plaits, knots, cobs etc), paint with egg yolk or milk, dip in seeds or sea salt, leave a few minutes to rise again and off into the oven for 20 minutes.  It helps weighing individual dough balls, because they all take the same time to bake (and because I can't judge that well by eye).

It works well timewise when we have dinner guests, because I can do the dinner prep whilst the machine does the initial work, then when I get a moment I make the shapes and they go in the oven, just before I stick the veggies on.  Gives a few minutes to cool before dinner, but still warm.  When I double up with a roast in the oven, they need to go in a bit earlier, because they need higher baking temps than the roast in its final stages.

The recipe book suggests that you can also make pizza, by starting off in the bread machine, then rolling out and covering with pizza ingredients, then baking in the oven.

Sorry about the thread drift, just answering the question.

Gazza ,  For those of us who don't have a halogen oven, what is the advantage?  I notice that the baking times are shorter.  How much electricity does a halogen oven use?  Is that the advantage?  MIL has one but I think she has given up with it.

Your bread looks very scrummy indeed.  :wave:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:56:34 by galina »

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 09:13:29 »
The advantage is Galina ......

It's the only oven in the kitchen ,,,, :blob7:,,,,having only recently moved here we as yet have not got an oven or hob installed....and you know what us women folk are like without our cooking
Bits and bobs....haha.....we were given it from Judes friend and it does 90percent of our oven needs.
I'm sure somebody can advise you on the electrical usage merits ,and yes it cooks quickly...
Tween you and I when our Neff components arrive I've a feeling this will  be joining all  my other gadgets in the loft........till then I'm just having fun using it.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 12:03:19 »
.................... 'nuff said  :sunny:

thanks, Gazza!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 13:36:08 »
My parents just bought one for their caravan. They like that it cooks quickly, is quite small, and lets them cook a roast or something outside the van.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 17:53:31 »
My parents just bought one for their caravan. They like that it cooks quickly, is quite small, and lets them cook a roast or something outside the van.

That makes sense.  thank you  :wave:

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 21:31:52 »
Tween you and I when our Neff components arrive I've a feeling this will  be joining all  my other gadgets in the loft........till then I'm just having fun using it.

Bet you you don't Gazza - not after your fuel bills come in.  Had my halogen for best part of a couple of years now and wouldn't be without it as there is only me and OH to cook for now.  Must use a lot less fuel/power than a standard gas/electric oven due to its size.  Other advantages is that it is easy to clean - just chuck in water, washing up liquid and turn on or alternatively lug bowl to sink and give quick scrub out, no kneeling on floor, scrubbing a manky oven (cos you haven't cleaned it in a decade or so) and needing help to get up again.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 08:31:41 »
Ssshhhhh that's tween you and me Lou,Jude has been desperate to finish the kitchen since weve arrived here in Feb,hense were finally getting the oven and hob on order,im happy to carry on using the Halogen but me mum cant lift the lid up and use it as she has
"awful Arthur" in her hands and fingers so at least when were out she can bung a dinner in the normal oven or make some soup etc on the hob.

Even the new micro were getting will have an oven programme and grill in it so she can stand and sort her self out....its all with her in mind as I want to make sure she can feed herself once I get back out to work !!!!!

If I don't prep a dinner she pecks about like a sparrow....but if I cook the meals she eats like a horse.....go figure. :tongue3:

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 13:15:51 »
Thanks for that info Galina. I thought I had read that you could do part by machine and part by hand.
My breadmaking machine does not crisp up the bread enough for our taste so finishing off in a conventional oven or halogen should do the trick.
On a different note, I've been making pizzas with the grandchildren using wholemeal pitta bread as the base. They love creating their own toppings and it encourages them to eat healthily.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 03:29:07 »
I only seem to use my bread maker for kneading the dough and then I shape, let it rise again, and bake in the conventional oven. Maybe I'm not using enough yeast, or maybe my bread maker is old and rubbish (it's got to be close to 20 years old), but I find bread baked in the machine is too heavy.

My oven goes as low as 30C so I usually bung the formed rolls on a tray in there with a large piece of oiled cling film over the top (stops them going dry) to rise.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 07:45:36 »
I only seem to use my bread maker for kneading the dough and then I shape, let it rise again, and bake in the conventional oven. Maybe I'm not using enough yeast, or maybe my bread maker is old and rubbish (it's got to be close to 20 years old), but I find bread baked in the machine is too heavy.

My oven goes as low as 30C so I usually bung the formed rolls on a tray in there with a large piece of oiled cling film over the top (stops them going dry) to rise.
I played around with the bread machine recipe for those reasons and ended up using more water than  their recipe.  I buy packs of dried yeast and store them in the fridge, which is cheaper than sachets, but they need to be used up within a few months.  Using twice the amount helps when the yeast is a little too old.  You could of course activate the yeast with the water and sugar prior to starting the machine.  If the yeast is ok, I suspect a little more water might do the trick.  We also have an ancient cheapie bread maker. 

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 08:23:25 »
Hmm. The recipes in the book that came with mine actually seem to have far too much water, making even ordinary dough very sticky and clingy like ciabatta dough. I have no idea why this is when those recipes worked fine when my mum used it before she gave it to me.

I've always thought that dough in the machine should be smooth and neither stick to the sides of the pan (too wet) or go all gnarly (too dry). I've made many successful loaves by hand in the past, but that's too much like hard work now with my fibromyalgia pain.

I also don't think my machine lets the dough rise enough anyway. But I'll try your idea of using more yeast or activating the yeast first, I didn't think of that.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 09:39:16 »
I had a baking day yesterday and kneaded the bread dough in the bread machine for the first knead.  Finished off by hand and made a loaf and some bread rolls. Both came out much better than the machine made, a much better result.  I'll experiment a bit more now I've got the hang of it.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 11:01:20 »
Hmm. The recipes in the book that came with mine actually seem to have far too much water, making even ordinary dough very sticky and clingy like ciabatta dough. I have no idea why this is when those recipes worked fine when my mum used it before she gave it to me.

Silverleaf, flour is not the same as flour.  For example I can't get Alinson's to work for me whatever I do.  If the breadmaker worked fine for your Mum, maybe she used a different brand of flour to yours - perhaps a brand with more gluten.  I am sure that Gazza has far more experience with different flours than I have and far better advice.  Sorry thread drift again.    :wave:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 11:23:39 »
Silverleaf, flour is not the same as flour.  For example I can't get Alinson's to work for me whatever I do.  If the breadmaker worked fine for your Mum, maybe she used a different brand of flour to yours - perhaps a brand with more gluten.  I am sure that Gazza has far more experience with different flours than I have and far better advice.  Sorry thread drift again.    :wave:

I've tried different brands with the same results, from supermarket own brand flour to Allinson's to the posh organic stuff that I can't remember the name of. I have no idea what's going on.

Of course if you're making dough by hand you can adjust your ratios as you go and can immediately feel if there's too much water or not enough. The machine is not so easy.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 10:53:26 »
im only a recent "bread maker" convert so am the last one to suggest what flours to use,I stick to shop brought varieties
and do not find too much difference....for hand made breads....the one factor I use is always using "fresh yeast" and letting it sit in the fluid to activate before adding it to the dry flour.....after 15 mins if I see the yeast mixture bubbling and expanding I then use it,I think its a confidence thing.........Tesco Lidl and Sainsburys all give me 100grms for FREE ....which is enough to make a few loaves.

of course if "hand issues" lead you to using the breadmakers I found that instead of dried yeast I mix 10g of fresh to 400ml of warm water and once activated I add this into the breadmaker pan then add the dry flour/salt mixure over then close the lid and stand back and light blue touch paper..!!!!!!!!!.....just don't get to heavy handed with the fresh yeasts..as they are a live product and some batches can be different from others...just go easy else youll be using the resulting loaf as an
extra brick in the wall.....or ....whilst proving the mixture will implode and youll end up with a Naan bread.... :tongue3:

Good fun this bread making.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 12:26:02 »
I've been meaning to make a sourdough starter, I've never done that before but it sounds interesting.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal