Author Topic: I got myself a rabbit  (Read 2947 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
I got myself a rabbit
« on: October 09, 2014, 19:07:04 »
There is this huge pile of soil and several holes dug under an old bale of straw, was keeping my courgettes warm and out of the wind.  Has anyone any suggestions on persuading a rabbit to move home? 

I poked about in the hole with a stick but no sign of rabbit.  But the hole does not seem big enough when compared to the huge mound of soil that has been heaped up.

Wretched thing is nibbling my broccoli.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: I got myself a rabbit
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 19:43:54 »
If its just one in a an otherwise rabbit free zone, shift the straw and dig back along the hole until you reach the end.. If no rabbit, just leave it open for a while and then if no activity, fill it in. If you are within an area containing lots of rabbit workings,it is probably a bolt hole, ie an emergency exit to the main colony. Are you on a managed site, where pest control is permitted or are you out in the rural heartlands where ferreting etc is the norm?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 20:03:12 »
stew

rillette

terrine

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 07:13:02 »
I am in a rural area so lots of rabbits about, they are normally on the far side of the next field.    I have very much disturbed the whole area.  Even with wild rabbits about I have never had more then a scraping before.

But there is a huge rabbit about, I think it was someone's ex pet.   There is also a black one.  There are often black ones in the area I think someone lost their black pet some years ago and they have been popping up with black ones ever since.  Maybe more than 15 years. 

That stew looks good alkanet.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 09:04:16 »
I seem to have one despite having rabbit fencing all around my plot (buried underground too).  It had been having all my carrot tops and nibbling on the protruding top halves of beetroots in the ground ... but a couple of days ago I found a dead young rabbit right next to the beetroots - only it's front leg had been eaten at all (it looked very tidy eating so I think it must have been a bird of prey).

The mystery to me is how they get in ... no sign of burrowing in anywhere and there are no holes in the fence!

I think the answer is Red Kites and Owls!

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 13:12:43 »
Stop complaining....you are allowed to keep rabbits on your plot....an act of Parliament says so...lol. :toothy10:
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 13:26:48 »
 :icon_cheers:

Perhaps but technically I do not have an allotments, I rent a growing space for 11 months a year.

Maybe I will try feeding it, then perhaps it will leave my broccoli be.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 13:31:02 »
Well that's different then.

I have the same problem....but with foxes thrown in too. Its a pain but I cant afford to go spending heaps of cash on fox/rabbit proof fencing so I let them get on with it.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 13:34:28 »
Best thing for foxes is a bit of scent marking.  In other words pee.  And at least they do not eat vegetables.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 16:56:40 »
Foxes aren't bad at getting rid of rabbits.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal