Author Topic: The 'plot' thickens :)  (Read 2259 times)

phillyq

• Not So New ...
The 'plot' thickens :)
« on: September 11, 2014, 21:20:40 »
So I've had my plot for a couple of months now. I did pretty much nothing in August (Intentionally - it was too hot and bar some 'round up' I'd decided to wait) but I've been busy this month and I've cleared and dug a third of the plot, installed a chicken coop, run and 4 chickens and put down a couple of bark pathways. I've got some late carrots growing and managed to sow some salad leaves and raddishes so far.

I'm finally starting to see the plot take shape and I'm quite proud of my achievements so far. I've met some lovely people, been given some lovely vegetables and I can see this being a way of life I settle to well.

Anyhow, back on topic....

having dug my beds over I am now looking at the best way to keep them weed free until I sow into them. I've put some weed matting down on one bed but I'd rather go with a more organic solution - so my question is....

What can I sow to keep the weeds away? something like a clover? Suggestions of something I can sow this time of year gratefulyl received!

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
Re: The 'plot' thickens :)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 10:01:23 »
The fact that the bed has just been dug means that lots of weed seeds will have been brought to the surface, and these will germinate amongst any green manure or cover crop that you sow. Not a problem if you are willing to do a bit of hand weeding over autumn and winter. However, I prefer to sow green manure onto a fairly 'clean' surface (i.e. one with few weed seeds) so that it can be forgotten about until Spring.
Letting weeds germinate, then hoeing before you sow the green manure is a partial solution, but I'd be tempted to hoe once a week through autumn, so that all surface seeds germinate and are killed, then covering during the winter (simply to protect the soil from erosion and rain damage) with rough compost, straw, weed-free grass cuttings, cardboard, wood chip — whatever is available. In Spring you will just have to remove the mulch (to let the soil warm) and lightly rake over a couple of weeks later before sowing crops.
To recommend specific green manure crops is tricky as it depends on your soil, intended following crop etc, and is a large subject of its own. However, agricultural mustard and Phacelia are both easy ones to start with, and can be hoed off in Spring without much trouble.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 10:46:51 »
I would say put down cardboard, weighed down with bricks etc. Come spring you just have to uncover and plant.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

phillyq

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 23:56:00 »
Thanks all and apologies for the delay in reply. I've decided just to rough dig the remaining area for now and hoe regularly. I've begun planting now (onions / Strawberries) and as I have to go to the plot daily for the chickens running a quick hoe over once or twice a week shouldn't be too labourious. About 50% has been mattend now anyhow. Thank you to whoever private messaged me about this - I managed to delete the message bofore replying - apoligies!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal