Author Topic: Strawberry runners - leave them be for a bumper crop?  (Read 1725 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Strawberry runners - leave them be for a bumper crop?
« on: September 27, 2014, 22:26:43 »
I didn't attend to my strawberries following the harvest and now have a bed covered with runners and foliage. I wonder if it's worth just leaving them to "get on with it" like they would if growing wild and on the basis that I might get a bumper crop next summer.... Or is this just wishful thinking and that all the runners need cutting and planting separately.

Many thanks for all the comments

Buster54

• Acre
Re: Strawberry runners - leave them be for a bumper crop?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 23:42:46 »
I would cut and plant separately as they will over crowd and be a haven for slugs/snails as the plants need ventilation,I cut my runners of as they appear as I want the plant to concentrate on fruit production not having babies,they say that strawberry plants will suck the life out of the soil in three years so feed them and they should be fine,I use tomato feed amongst other things 
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 09:25:38 »
Umm...it kind of depends...you might end up with bumper crop..
If the ground is fertile enough and you are willing to provide enough moisture for their needs, yes..you might end up with quantity but no necessary quite as 'picture perfect' berries. Like already mentioned, there is the 'lurker' issue..and too much over grown conditions create more shade too, which will effect the colour and flavour.
If you are not worried with neat and straight lines of plants....just leave them be for time being, come spring you will see what start to sprout new leaves strongest, leave them be and maybe just take the weaker one out. If you are not happy with results next summer, get the spade out and do some more ruthless 'thinning'. Nothing wrong trying out and see what happens. :icon_thumleft:..

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 20:55:20 »
 I leave my runners in place until spring then I thin them out as I feed and prepare the bed.

If needs be I use the biggest of the runners to replace those plants that have not stood up to the winter weather.

On completion I give my surplus away or dump them!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal