Author Topic: Goodbye tree  (Read 1990 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Goodbye tree
« on: September 10, 2014, 21:26:48 »
The tree at the end of my allotment has been cut down today (hurray). I rembered to take my camera but forgot my glasses, so unfortunately the pictures are not too good.  If you look very closely will see a man up the tree.  If anyone knows Enfield, George Spicer school at the back of the playing fields has been enlarged, so allotments have been lost but replaced.  A lot of building work going on, but not all bad.  Anyway the tree has been a problem as no light at the end of my allotment so hopefully better crops next year.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Goodbye tree
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 10:48:44 »
That was a big one! Poor thing. Still, it was some kind of pine?  Never a good thing to have around a cultivated area, in my experience.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: Goodbye tree
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 20:59:14 »
Took a few photos today, sorry if they are rubbish.  One is of the tree trunk, some to show that we still have loads of trees.  My friendly robin came to see me today, and saw two bluetits but they were too high up for a photo.  The willow tree that the Council cut back has grown again and one of my figs which might do OK if the weather stays fine.  Another one of the lovely view from the allotment over Enfield Playing fields.  The wood chip from the tree came in useful for my paths, as I have resorted to weed killer, and covering some of the overgrown areas.  Saw the fox again today as I left, a beautiful day and not many of my friends at the allolment, maybe they had to work.  I will be glad when the courgettes finish and in October we are allowed a bonfire.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal