Author Topic: Are slug pellets killing my seedlings?  (Read 2830 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Are slug pellets killing my seedlings?
« on: May 16, 2015, 16:22:53 »
It's a hard one to google for as questions like "slug pellets toxic plants" just come up with results saying that they are used on plants and are toxic to molluscs and other wildlife.

I only use them inside my greenhouse quite carefully to stop massacres of my seedlings with a light sprinkling on the surface of the seed trays and I'm coming to the sad conclusion that whatever chemical is in them is causing the seedlings to wither and die ... Especially if they've been in contact with a leaf or if theyve dissolved while watering over a specific plant. Some plants seem more sensitive than others - especially cucumbers and basil at the moment.

I think I know it's happening, but does anyone know if this is a known phenomenon?  It seems crazy to sell something to sprinkle on plants to protect them which had the reverse effect!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Are slug pellets killing my seedlings?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 19:16:34 »
I'm afraid I can't be any help to your quest finding the aswer...not yet, but I will have a look...;)
I use VERY little slug pellets, when I do it is usually in GH as few snails seem to find their way in to overwinter. So when I start season with new plants and seedlings I do use few pellets. I find them more of attraction and they will draw slugs and snails towards the pellets, if any is near plants they will have a chomp those too  :BangHead: So I either sprinkle few under staging, or put little dish amongst empty pots (that's where they usually hide) and have another couple of 'bait stations' amongst the planted pots and seed trays on top of the staging. I don't allow any pellets on contact with any plants or compost/soil surface. Maybe that is the reason I haven't noticed any effect on my seedlings!?

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 22:43:03 »
Maybe try organic slug pellets? Their active ingredient is iron (III) phosphate, which definitely isn't harmful to plants.

I wouldn't use anything on seedlings though, especially in pellet form. The bit of soil surrounding the pellet will get quite a concentrated "hit" of the poison and even if it's not usually harmful it might kill the seedling. Bigger plants will cope better.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 07:31:03 »
I concur! A light sprinkling round the base of pots, underneath and in the corners only!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 11:19:41 »
hmmm ... thanks for the replies.

I only used the organic ones this year and there was still a marked effect.  I was probably being a bit over-enthusiastic though after the carnage of the first wave of snails in the greenhouse!  I'll try and keep it a bit more careful when using in the future.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 17:13:34 »
On our site I've noticed that most people use far to many slug pellet...the ground is almost blue from them... :BangHead: I keep dropping hints that one only need few to do the job. In fact I saw on one manufactures site helpful advise...4" space between each pellet is enough when scattered around.
When I used to use slug pellets bit more I dropped 2 or 3 per plant with wide spacing plants like brassicas, one would struggle to see them but they still did the job.
My current bottle of pellets I've had for 5 years and the way I carry on, it will last at least another 5 years  :icon_cheers: If my plants start to get too much slug damage...I rather pay little extra and get nematode treatment for the land. It works and if done correctly it keeps things under control for few years  :icon_cheers:
Sadly slug pellets are one of the best selling products in our lottie shop... :BangHead:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 17:17:44 by goodlife »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 19:05:44 »
I have never had an issue and haven't heard anything either.  Methiocarb which is often found in slug pellets can be quite toxic to animals but is actually sprayed on crops as an insecticide so I doubt that would cause an issue. Metaldehyde, the other chemical used in pellets, is much less toxic and breaks down quickly. 

I would be seriously surprised if slug pellets were an issue. 
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 22:39:41 »
Have never seen any effect on plants but would advise that the pellets are a bait, probably cereal based and which grow moulds after a short while. This may spread to plant tissue and promote damping off. My first experience of slug control was with oatmeal & meta bar from the camping shop. This is now sold as the prepared bait, coloured blue to deter birds and containing Bitrex to discourage consumption by satient creatures.
Much mis-understanding of the toxicity is around, the quantity needed to be ingested by mammals to cause fatal effects is quite large given that the commercially available slug pellet is approx 1.5% metaldehyde.  The biggest potential risk is the complete cannister which could be taken by dogs as a toy and chewed until the contents are reached. Hedgehogs eating molluscs with a pellet within could be at risk but they face greater hazards.
I have seen magpies clearing up slugs at first light, no ill effects noted with them (unfortunately)
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal